Help wanted tracing WW2 records

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Aunty Stella, Mar 26, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. I have recently started to trace my Grandads (on my moms side) WW2 history and appear to have come to a complete blank.

    Following my Grandmothers death, all of my Grandfathers remaining personal belongings were handed to my mother and her two sisters and I have begun to attempt to trace his history.

    There were a few notable items missing from the effects, these namely being his medals, paybook, letter from the War Office telling my Grandmother that he was missing presumed dead (yanks picked him up after 3 days of being alone in the jungle in Burma wounded) and (believe it or not) his KFS set which was the only other thing inscribed with his regt No. We have no idea where these have disappeared to although my old girl vividly remembers seeing them during her childhood.

    So, I have a couple of capbadges, a BLESMA badge, sketchy info as to what actually happened to him (we know he lost a leg in Burma), an excerpt from a letter referring to a battle, which, looking at the vague references (the letter was written on 22 March 1944 and was therefore subject to censorship) was in the Khabaw Valley.

    The capbadges are the RAC armoured fist and the 3rd Carabiniers (later amalgamated with the Royal Scots Greys in 1971). The letter was written by a Major E.R. Pettit who has signed his unit as being the 3rd D.G's, India Command.

    If there is anyone out there with access to the regiments records, his name was Ernest Osborne, place of birth West Bromwich, West Midlands, wounded in 1944.

    I have scanned the letter and will send the whole excerpt that I have to anyone that thinks that they can help that thinks it may be of relevance.

    I'd appreciate any help on this one as I want to apply to the MOD for the replacement of his medals and my Old Girl would like to know more about his history, as in true WW2 veteran style, he never, ever told any of his 3 daughters anything about what he did or how he lost his leg.

    Thanks in advance

  2. Have a look at the Public Record Office site - should still be up in that name but might be National Archives Office. They have a big section on how to get info ref soldiers. The staff are extremely helpful.
  3. I'm Afraid that the National Archives will not be able to help they only hold the service records for servicemen that completed there service before 1921. Service records from 1921 onwards are held by the MOD, If you have your grandads regimental number all you should need to do is write to :
    Army Personnel Centre
    HQ Secretariat
    Historical Disclosures
    Mail Point 400
    Kentigern House
    65 Brown Street
    G2 8EX
  4. Blackcat is right

    I sent a letter to the above address in trying to find out which medals and in what order my grandfathers had earned and they were very helpful.

    They sent back a couple of A4 pages on each of them with No Rank Name, units served, areas of operation, medals, conduct, dates of disharge etc

    Bonus, too you don't have to do joined up writing to ask and they will even respond to address's in the midlands :D
  5. you can phone the army disclosures helpdesk on 08456006900... or for medal enq u can phone RAF INNSWORTH on ext 8200 or 8148 they can help ypu regarding medals
  6. As far as I was aware the place to get in touch with was the Army Medal Office, Droitwich they deal with reissues of medals etc, but you need the service record first as they need to know date of termination of service etc, in my dealings with them found it to be a very long winded process.