Help wanted to trace an ancestor

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Alsacien, Mar 6, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I have found these useful:

1901 Census of England and Wales Online
    Welcome to the official 1911 Census website

Unfortunately the trail on my Great Grandfather (Welsh Regiment 1915-1917) has gone cold. I have his medal card, but his detailed records were destroyed in WW2 with most others.
    In the 1911 census he is in South Wales working as a miner aged 23 (no parents appear in that census), but he was not there in 1901 aged 13, and there were 139 13 year olds with his name in the UK.
    I would need to find either his place of birth or his parents names in order to go further, does anyone know which documents may have that info?
    He received a medical discharge in 1917 (4 bullet wounds and he survived!), do medical discharge records exist separately as presumably there would be some entitlement to disability benefits? (He went back down the pit at some point after he recovered so I guess he would not have got a pension).
  2. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

The 1911 census should have his place of birth in it - right hand side of the page usually.

Try finding his birth/death records usually a wealth of data in those, if you know his date of death then death is easy to find usually, birth can be simple via the freeBMD website, then order the cert via the NRO. Or use the data to try a search for him in the 1901 and 1891 census.

My subscription isn't active atm, but i will be paying another months worth sometime soon, if you want me to help out then ping me a PM with the details you have and I'll add them to the list - I've done a few for other ARRSEr's with some good results.

3. My family remained fairly static for 400 years, which makes it easy to use parish registers and workhouse records.

I also found that the records of the local assizes useful for tracing my family. One of my ancestors was burned at the stake at Chester for witchcraft, (in a sxteenth century soap opera: "serving girl shags boss, irate boss's wife finds out, hubby dies suddenly of poisoning, serving girl gets blamed, sort of way) whilst another, a pub landlord, was hanged for an unnatural act with a horse.

Thats family pride that is..............
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Thanks, I may take you up on that, in the meantime you have given me a couple of other areas to look at.