Help! VW alarm systems...

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by BrunoNoMedals, Oct 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

Last night I woke up at 0130h with horrendous acid reflux and a full bladder. On staggering out to the toilet I noticed that the security light covering my driveway was on, and the little red LED by the lock pin on the driver's side was flashing at least every second - in the past I swear it only used to flash every 3-4 seconds.

I threw on some jeans and went outside to have a look, but no-one was about and the car seemed fine. Am I being paranoid, or could someone have had a pop at it?

It's a Mk4 Golf, 1.6 but bottom of the range (no air-con, no remote for the central locking, and I believe it's only got an immobiliser rather than a full factory alarm system). I'm about to go Googling for info on the red light... with SafeSearch on, obviously... but in the mean time I thought I'd put it out to the crowd for any extra input.

The light is still flashing every second when it's locked, and I'm still convinced it should be flashing a lot slower. Is this normal? Am I going mad?

2. BrunoNoMedals

I've considered taking out shares in whoever makes those things. I go through dozens of them. Missus thinks I'm addicted.

3. No, you need to get some fireman to hose down your throat...........
    I've see it on TV :D

4. BrunoNoMedals

I prefer minty-fresh to salty-fresh, despite what you may have heard ;)

5. Take one roll of harry black/duct tape or the like. Tear off a small square and place it over the red light ensuring you can no longer see it flash. Tear off a larger piece of the tape and place it over the PIR detector of the security light. Or alternatively, hit both repeatedly with a large hammer until they no longer have the audacity to blink or shine.

Hope this helps.

6. I would go with the hammer...its more fun.

7. Yes I noticed you gave that same advice to somebody with an awkward iPhone. You're obviously a master with the hammer.

8. BrunoNoMedals

I'm tempted to just take a hammer to the whole car. I'm expecting to drop about £700 in repairs on it next week, and it's already cost me close to £1500 in the three years I've had it just fixing "common faults". Two induction coils, a cam belt, both front electric windows, a full new exhaust system... it still pulls left despite a number of mechanics assessing it and ruling out the tracking or uneven tread. Now it needs another electric window (in the back this time), another cam belt, new emissions sensors on the exhaust and possibly an assessment of this immobiliser all as part of its 65k service. It's only eight years old!

German engineering? I shit it. I'm going Jap next.

9. I can understand why.

10. I surely am.....much experience had with a hammer and things that don't want to work.

11. You are Peter Sutcliff and I demand my £5

12. It's a flash every one or two seconds, IIRC.

Lits

13. So there's bugger all wrong with it.

Apart from: Now it needs another electric window (in the back this time), another cam belt, new emissions sensors on the exhaust and possibly an assessment of this immobiliser all as part of its 65k service.

And at least the security light seems to work ok.

14. Who? I Never heard of him. Did he invent jammy dodgers? No £5 for you!

15. BrunoNoMedals

Silver linings, and all that!

Cheers Lits, maybe I am going mad after all.