Help urgently needed...

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by Tubbyboy, Jul 6, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Are there any CPNs/RMNs or similar on the board that could get in touch with me via PM?

I have a couple of questions that I need some answers to. They are not about me directly but are (honestly) for a friend.

Cheers

Tubs

2. I might...ahem...know someone who can help, but would prefer to do so on the message board. Can't the questions be phrased in general terms?

3. The question can't really be phrased that generally as it would identify someone very easily....

4. I'm dying to pretend that I'm a clinical officer, but sadly I have way to much integrity for that.

IF

5. What's a clinical officer? Is that a coloquial term for Dr's, Physio's, Nursing officers, ect, or something completely different?

Please enlighten me. . . . . .

6. Probably a porter

7. :lol: :lol: lol, I like it!

8. Duh that's a Transport Technician....

Beebs

9. I take your point tubby, but the same can happen to me. I've had some v unpleasant experiences as a result of getting into PMing on 'confidential' matters (not I should say on this board).

The difficulty with this kind of thing is that sometimes things are not what they seem...

I'll say no more or I'll really be in the s**t!

10. All very intrigueing I'd say!!

11. Lets just say a gentleman of the press was pretending to be someone he wasn't. It was interview with OC, no coffee for someone...

12. I think I have been here long enough and posted enough to be judged not a journalist. If anything, I would be more suspicious the other way around....

In general terms then, if someone I know is an inpatient undergoing care for mental health problems. They are due to leave the army fairly soon and people around them are concerned that they will be discharged from service before their treatment is complete. I have been told both that they will not be discharged until they are better and also that they will be discharged early due to the problem. Which is more likely?

13. Apologies for late reply but I've been away.

It depends on the type of problem. If it is something that is likely to be long term i.e. lifetime, then they will be medically boarded, discharged in a permanently downdraded category and their care transferred to the NHS. If the condition is likely to resolve in a reasonable time, then their discharge will be deferred until they are well enough to go on normal end of engagement terms i.e time expired. Remember also that if the problem is likely to reoccur, then they will need to be boarded in a permanently reduced medical category. This prevents them from being called up as a regular reservist in the future. Medical boarding leading to discharge is more likely for psychoses, recurrent depression and some PTSD. With alcohol problems and personality disorders its a bit more uncertain.

Hope this is of some help

14. Thanks, how about Bipolar disorder? The way I see it (as it has been explained) is that it is completely treatable and with the right medication it shouldn't cause problems in the future. How would the army view it?

15. I have known a few people with bipolar disorder be kept on, and even deploy. They however are the exception I must say. Commonly, bipolar disorder is treated with Lithium. It has to be taken regularly and needs laboratory support periodically. It is in virtually all cases a lifelong condition.

To some extent it again comes down to the individual. If their condition is easy to control i.e. responds to medication well, that is a positive sign. If a person has good insight into their condition that helps. Some don't especially if they start to go off. Their job is a big factor. If they are in a shortage/high skill category then their chances of retention, maybe in a permanently reduced medical category, go up. The real killer however remains deployability. Medical control on lithium which is going fine in the UK can be knocked for six by heat, high humidity, increased exercise and so on.

Sorry to have to say that most people with bipolar will probably be medically boarded.