HELP - TRACING A VET FROM THE DESERT WAR (WW2)

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by staaken, Mar 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Folks
    During a recent mine clearance job in Libya, a mate found a note book amongst what appears to be a Rifle Brigade position which had been trashed by enemy action. The notebook belonged to:

Rfn WA Smith
    C Coy 12 Pltn
    1st Bn the Rifle Brigade
    Jallalabad Barracks
    Tidworth
    Hants

No record exists of this chap in CWG registers, so it may be that he was a lucky guy that day. I'd be grateful for help or direction in tracing him (through Old Comrades/RBL sources). Discretion will be observed of course.

2. Staaken,

It's a shame he has a common name, otherwise I could run it through 192.com. The only thing I can suggest is that you contact the Daily Mail which has a regular Saturday feature on "missing persons" especially military. You might not find WA Smith but you might find his colleagues.

Alternatively, you could contact the MOD at Hayes (see the Veterans' site) and send the notebook to them for filing with his service record - just in case someone asks for it in the future.

Litotes

3. Or contact the Royal Green Jackets Museum at Peninsular Barracks Winchester they may well be interested in it or be able to research using the regimental number?

4. Litotes & Camman
    Thanks for that, will give it a go.
    Staaken