StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer

Slime

LE
No. There was a Mister Mate and the cabin boy was called Tom

ETA Wah/No Wah as required
From the Guardian in late 1991/early 1992

In the Young Guardian of September 13 [1991] we stated that the Captain Pugwash cartoon series featured characters called Seaman Staines and Master Bates, and for that reason the series had never been repeated by the BBC. We accept that it is untrue that there never were any such characters. Furthermore, the series continues to be shown on television and on video. We apologize to Mr. Ryan, the creator, writer and artist of the Captain Pugwash films and books. We have agreed to pay him damages and his legal costs.​
The story had been going around for years, and John Ryan became progressively more and more fed up with it as people started to believe it. The Guardian story was the last straw, and he set his lawyers on them. Oddly enough, comedians stopped making jokes about the character names shortly afterwards for some reason, usually after they heard the size of the damages...

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
I am trying to remember the name of the bear in the kids TV programme in the sixties and is still going I believe. Originally presented by Harry Corbett, the dog was named Sweep, but what was the bear called?
Soo.

FFS What's the problem, its sooty and sweep, as in a chimney sweep getting covered in soot.
Next you will be telling me that the gollywog on the marmalade jar was insulting, how about the Indian servant on the camp coffee jar, All of their time. Or the polar bear on the glacier mint, nobody gets their nickers in a twist about the dozy prat advertising Spanish kitchen rolls, or Harvey Keitel advertising house insurance. ( Winston wolf, fictitious murdering gangster). How about gorilla glue, an endangered species.

Nobody's had a pop about at Vera Lynn's song "whale meat again" or Chas and Daves song, london girls. one an endangered species, and the other saying that one city's females are better than another.

Where does this bollox all end. anybody with two functioning brain cells will realise its all part of advertising, and show business, there's no cultural stereotyping or racism implied. Life is too bloody short to be worried about inconsequentials.
rant over:-
Sits back...relaxes...and awaits the usual twatery incoming....3..2..1.....

Last edited:
FFS What's the problem, its sooty and sweep, as in a chimney sweep getting covered in soot.
Next you will be telling me that the gollywog on the marmalade jar was insulting, how about the Indian servant on the camp coffee jar, All of their time. Or the polar bear on the glacier mint, nobody gets their nickers in a twist about the dozy prat advertising Spanish kitchen rolls, or Harvey Keitel advertising house insurance. ( Winston wolf, fictitious murdering gangster). How about gorilla glue, an endangered species.

Nobody's had a pop about at Vera Lynn's song "whale meat again" or Chas and Daves song, london girls. one an endangered species, and the other saying that one city's females are better than another.

Where does this bollox all end. anybody with two functioning brain cells will realise its all part of advertising, and show business, there's no cultural stereotyping or racism implied. Life is too bloody short to be worried about inconsequentials.

The panda is called Soo.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer

Well @CutLunchCommando was technically correct as Soo was the girlfriend of S... the other bear.
:-D

Blogg

LE
From the Guardian in late 1991/early 1992

In the Young Guardian of September 13 [1991] we stated that the Captain Pugwash cartoon series featured characters called Seaman Staines and Master Bates, and for that reason the series had never been repeated by the BBC. We accept that it is untrue that there never were any such characters. Furthermore, the series continues to be shown on television and on video. We apologize to Mr. Ryan, the creator, writer and artist of the Captain Pugwash films and books. We have agreed to pay him damages and his legal costs.​
The story had been going around for years, and John Ryan became progressively more and more fed up with it as people started to believe it. The Guardian story was the last straw, and he set his lawyers on them. Oddly enough, comedians stopped making jokes about the character names shortly afterwards for some reason, usually after they heard the size of the damages...
They forgot to mention Roger the Cabin Boy.

Shameful

JackSofty

War Hero
AR puffin stuff?

Rodger or something the the gnome?

hThink they were programmed in the 70ies.

Anyone?
Paulus the Little Gnome (The Witch is out, She's out to get you...) Last time I looked, there was very little footage on t'internet.

Sent from my karzi while losing several pounds

You had telly in That London? Well bugger me...

A 12 inch 405 line disaster, In a big wooden box. My father told me years later that it cost him a months wages. Don't forget the first TV service in the UK came from Alexandra palace, only a few miles away from where we lived in north east london.

Slime

LE

Slime

LE

rant over:-
You filthy racist. :)

It’s fine to talk about Sooty, Sweep and Sue...........

But what about Butch?

Black lives matter ;)

You filthy racist. :)

It’s fine to talk about Sooty, Sweep and Sue...........

But what about Butch?

Black lives matter ;)
There was no discrimination with any of them, as I recall Corbett shoved his fingers in all of them(as did his son later on)

Latest Threads