Help To Improve The Resettlement Process

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by siani, Oct 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From personal experience (my husband having served 20+ years in the forces) I believe that the resettlement process has its flaws. In order to address these flaws I am researching the experiences of individuals in this process.

In order to research this throughly I require your experiences - any information provided will be treated in the strictest of confidence and not issued to anyone - all information used will be confidential.

I am not a do gooder nor am I from the press I work for a not for profit organisation who have numerous years experience in developing and implementing projects for individuals and groups where there are gaps from employment, education, environmental etc.

Should you not wish to post your opinions on a public forum then you can pm me and I shall respond.

2. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Come on then, nows the chance for all those who said the system sucked. In case you're worried her organisation checks out OK.

Sorry I can't add anything as I didn't use the resettlement process. :)

3. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Bump.

4. Currently in the middle of it all, courses booked, forms in the mail, must admit not overly impressed, especially with the financial side of things. Would give you a running update as it goes, but moving house soon and no tinternet for a while.

5. I thought it was all pretty painless.

6. Golden rules for resettlement.
    Take absolutely everything you can, be it 1 day briefs, 2 day courses, trips out to interviews, attending seminars, anything, anything at all. It might not go down so well with the Unit but who cares? do you?
    It might not go down too well with the family but face it this is gonna be a big upheaval so anything you do now will save the effort later on.
    Not sure how the claims for travel , subsistence work today but take advantage of the POT code on a claim form or warrant.
    Don't let anyone put you off, GO FOR IT.
    Wnka_Mga

7. I found it to be a lot of paperwork for a few quid. Forms faxed here, signed there, posted here etc.

8. Everyone who signs off in our unit is given a copy of a book about resettlement. It was written by a guy who used to be in our Regt and he donated a shed load a year or so ago.

It makes for a good read and covers a lot of the basics that tend to be forgotton.

Well worth a read.

9. I left after 26 served in 2004. I stayed in Germany and can only agree with the above comment about the system being painless. Well, painless for CTP in Bielefeld certainly as I never heard from them post the initial interview apart from one email 12 months after I left asking me whether I had found a job yet :) Don't expect anyone other than yourself to be interested in your transition from the services into civilian life. Don't expect anyone in your orderly room to know anything - at all... It's all down to you. Have a plan and stick to it and things will be fine as long as you are in full control of what's going on. I don't know whether things have changed in the three years since I left but someone somewhere needs to get it set in stone that a soldier is given a definite set period prior to release in which he should not have to fight for time away from work in order to get his resettlement sorted. I found it hard to balance 'jacking' on my colleagues by not being at work with getting necessary resettlement stuff done. Yes, that's partly a local management thing but as I said, they aren't retiring - you are.

10. There was really good reply to this by 'rifleman' over at All Callsigns. Here's what he said:

11. [quote=" Don't expect anyone other than yourself to be interested in your transition from the services into civilian life. .[/quote]

That is the whole point of this exercise is to provide that support if you have received none - to be able to provide assitance on transferable skills and how to ensure that your cv is presented in a manner acceptable by civillian employers

12. The resettlement process is merely in place in order that the MOD can state that it is a responsible employer and provides retraining to people leaving the services.

Those with transferrable skills, and that is pretty much limited to technical and IT should find the whole thing fairly painless.

Everyone else is strictly on their own and needs to fend for themselves as early in their career as possible. You will not gain anything other that the knowledge of writing a CV in the resettlement process.

Totally agree with the comments above, take all the leave, briefings and courses available and do not surrender any of your entitlement due to pressure from your unit.

13. It seems to me that resettlement is what you make of it. I know people who started preparing years before they were due to leave. They took advantage of Service courses and got the civilian accreditation by pestering their own capbadge accreditation cell, they used their SLC every year and now use ELC as well

If you take a 22 year person, they have a notional resettlement package worth more than £17,000!!!

Work it out : 22 years @ £175 SLC , 3 yrs @ £2000 ELC CTw @ £900, access to a consultant for 4yrs (£2,000?) etc etc

Now there are Level 5 Management diplomas for doing WO CLM plus 45 hrs extra study and opportunities to do management degrees at next to no financial cost.

Seems pretty plush to me!