Help to ID this uniform.

Discussion in 'RLC' started by bumjuice, Jan 13, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Looks like tropical service dress with a stable belt from service somewhere hot full of fuzzy wuzzies, possibly India?

Back when we stuck to the quite wise policy that on no account should the enemy ever have guns.

• Like Like x 1
  2. 1908 web belt, tropical service dress, what on the back of the photo ?

3. That has to be the best quote this year..........

4. Seconded.

5. No regimental or rank badges; maybe a cadet or school?

I know they didn't have MacDonalds in those days, but he looks very small - about 4' something, judging by the width of the web belt...

The belt looks like Pattern 1908, so the photo might be pre-WW1 by a few years.

6. I am afraid I stole it from one Captain E Blackadder.

7. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

There was quite a scandal at the time over malnutrition and the size of people joining the forces, especially for the Boer War.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/education/lesson29.htm

http://www.jstor.org/stable/25105422

8. That was repeated in WW1 and WWII, especialy WWII as we were gearing up for total war and half the young men that got looked at were unfit to fight due to TB, Rickets, dental problems, veneral disease, polio, rheumatic fever etc etc or simply too short for service in the infantry and some corps.

Poverty diseases in short, the welfare state partly came about to provide fit young men for national service.

9. Interesting background. The tunic looks odd as well I.e. the seam stitching. Carrying a stick for drill?

10. Looking at that tight waist, the riding crop and bumps in the chest area I have come to the conclusion that this person was in the Womens Auxiliary Relief Service.
    Did I tell you of how many times I have been through the WARS? :)

11. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Indeed and still crops up today, especially dental health. Do JS still get a 4th meal a day?

12. WW2 sidecap.
    Bizarre tunic, tropical fabric otherwise shit knows.
    1908 webbing belt.
    Trollies like tunic.
    Swagger stick.
    Vacant smirk.
    I'd guess at India, 1940-ish.

13. I didn't know we had any!

Junior Para was disbanded in the early 90's. Some of the very best soldiers to serve in the Parachute Regiment & SAS went through there.

I believe the Junior Leaders Regiment suffered the same fate!