Help.. TA Electrician

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by J-J-M, Dec 12, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Okay I am partly qualified electrician, NVQ Level 2 which is installation but not inspection and testing.

On the TA website [B]http://www.army.mod.uk/rolefinder/role/115/electrician/[/B]/

It states "TA applicants must already be qualified in this trade" when you click on regular it says they teach you to part 1 and part 2 "City & Guilds Parts 1 and 2 Electrical Installations" does this mean you can join the TA with City & Guilds NVQ 2 as i presume they would have someone sign of the work.
    thanks

2. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Mainstream TA RE units do not have Electrician as a trade. The Regular recruit training is too long to cross over to the TA. So if you already have qualifications then you are really useful to a TA Engineer unit. If you are involved in any sort of electrical construction work then there will be an RE Electrician Class 1 (or Clerk of Works) to sign off your stuff.

3. so does that mean NVQ level 2 Installation qualification would be acceptable for royal engineers electrician TA
    ? as i do not understand sorry.

4. msr

msr LE

The best thing to do would be to go and speak to the RE unit you are thinking about joining. They are the best people to answer your questions.

m-s-r

5. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Sorry. My point is that the RE TA does not have ME(Elec) as a trade.

6. chimera im confused to why you say that as its advertised on the link i have attached above.

7. Mate that link is for a Royal Signals electrician they're are generally responsible for running generators for radios.etc rather than the more traditional sparkying Royal Engineer electricians do. The RE TA don't to my knowledge usually train electricians but if you've got prior qualifications they'll probably use you, as the previous posters suggest the best course of action is to phone the unit you're thinking about joining and talk to them.

8. but yes i will give them a phone thanks for you help .