Help! Someone's stolen my username !!

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by lumpy2, Feb 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. First of all, I am not "lumpy2". This is an old username used only twice before.

I am actually "pompeyfan", but it seems that someone's nicked my username.

Please bear with me - this is NOT a wind up or a wah.

Only last Thursday, I was happily posting my usual drivel, no problem. On Saturday I attempted to log in and was informed that my name/password did not match. I attempted to change password and received an email addressed to my "old" name lumpy2. I contacted arrse admin, and they informed me that they did indeed have a user known as "pompeyfan" but at a different email address!

So it appears that I have lost my name and status, someone else has got it, and I don't know how to rectify this.

Anyone out there more computer literate than me ( that's almost everyone), got any idea WTF is going on and how I can get out of this mess. As you can imagine I am somewhat miffed by this turn of events.

Sensible advice will be very welcome.

Thanks in anticipation.
  2. can be only one of about a dozen people! cant you just ask around?
  3. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Why have 2 names?
  4. I only ever used the name "lumpy2" to post a couple of jokes, then changed to pompeyfan which I have been using ever since. As far as "asking around" is concerned, I don't personally know any other arrse users, so Im somewhat at a loss.

I did inform the arrse admin that I recently made a donation, not to "big it up" but in the hope that there is a computer record somewhere linking the name pompeyfan to my email address.

Is it possible that someone could have "stolen" my username, or is it more likely to be a software problem?
  5. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Why not contact the COs with details of previous email addresses you've used and see if one matches. Or is that too obvious?
  6. Do you leave yourself logged in on arrse, at work, anyone may change details if you left your screen unlocked
  7. unlucky fella
  8. Don't know whether it's something to do with post counts, join dates, reputation or whatever, but some people appear way too attached to their anonymous online usernames for my liking. It's an internet forum ffs, it's not like some Nigerian scammer is emptying your bank account, is it? Why not just write it off as a lesson in (possible) poor personal security, and make a bold reintroduction as 'ghostofpompeyfan', or something similar?
  9. Thanks for the reply. I've only ever had one email address. The administrators now say that "pompeyfan" is registered to another email address (they quoted first three letters, then asterisks) but it is not known to me.

I never leave computer unattended when I'm logged in and there's no-one with access to computers which I use who would even know about ARRSE!

But thanks for the replies, keep them coming and maybe one might actually solve my problem :)
  10. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

See if the CO's can check if the account e-mail address has ben changed in the past few days, if it has then see if they can recover the old address...if it matches the one you use they might be willing to reset it...just a thought.

11. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

I reckon your user name was bought by someone who after vetting and thought fit to use it. On finding out that they didn't have any money they got rid of it and tried to claim compensation, leaving you high and dry........

Oh wait, hang on

That was Pompey!
  12. Point taken. But it's a bit annoying not being able to sort out what's happened :)
  13. Sixty

Digging about in the background to see what's up; could you let me know which ISP both usernames use?
  14. Many thanks for your help, but what's ISP!? (Told you I was illiterate)
  15. Sixty

Trans: Who supplies your internet access?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.