Help required.

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by BlotBangRub, Feb 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am just sitting down to write an essay about Goose Green and I have some rather bone queries.

What words if any in 'battalion second-in-command' get capitalised?

Also does 'the' in 'the Parachute Regiment' get capitalised?

Slight change of emphasis but does anyone know the following?

What company was Barry Norman in at the time i.e. was he HQ Coy CSM? (The interview refers to him as ‘Sergeant Major’, but that is an appointment not a rank and I want to be able to get it right. If I cannot find out his appointment I shall refer to him as WO II which I would rather not do)

Was Major Keeble still serving when he gave his interview to Yorkshire television for 'The Falklands War: The Untold Story'?

He gave his interview in civvies and I know he left in 1987 but he may still have been in when it was conducted and to an historian this is an important point.

Thanks in advance.

2. If I can answer one question, does that help?

I don't think "the" in "the Parachute Regiment" would be capitalised.

I also think that capitalisation in "battalion second in command" is probably not important. As long as it is clear to whom you are referring, I guess anything goes.

Litotes

3. Well in my book Battalion was capitalised, and also Second and Command.

The 'the' in Parachute Regiment is not

Im taking thats right as a proofreader never corrected those.

4. Whilst I agree with you in principle, ORC, I would hesitate to quote the Grauniad!

Litotes

5. Chris Keeble gave his interview in 83 as far as i'm aware.

6. Thanks for the help chaps!

The people marking this will not know either way, but it annoys me when the media get details wrong, so I have to make the effort when i'm writing.