Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help required with unit ID

green_slime

Old-Salt
Trying to identify the Regt/Corps for this chap. From long haired CO's side of family and they say he was Northumberland Fusiliers but to my eye it looks like RAMC?

IMG_5747.jpeg

RAMC Collar Dogs
images.jpeg

Northumberland Fusiliers WW1 Collar Dog.
images.jpeg

Do they have his 'red book' or any other documents?

Last edited:
Definitely RAMC collar badge.
PhpYyaenh.gif

It's possible that he may have transferred to or from the Northumberland Fusiliers.
278-northumberland-fusiliers.jpg

Trying to identify the Regt/Corps for this chap. From long haired CO's side of family and they say he was Northumberland Fusiliers but to my eye it looks like RAMC?

View attachment 524710

View attachment 524710

May have been attached to NF. Family always said that my great uncle was Black Watch, however a check of records showed he was RAMC attached to BW.

Indeed, worth bearing in mind that his postal address if attached to RNF would have been via their equivalent of BFPO back in those days. This would stick in mind of younger family as the address features large in their memories.

Happy to be shot down by experts.

I know that down in this neck of the woods a very large proportion of WW1 recruits were first enlisted into the local infantry regiment before being reassigned to their 'proper' regiment/corps. Might that be a possible explanation?

Looks to me that he is wearing No 1 Dress rather than khaki SD, and a regimentally coloured side hat. The RAMC side hat was dark blue with a dark crimson crown. The two colours might not stand out as different on an old b/w photo.

As somebody has pointed out, the collar badges bear the old "King's Crown", so this would seem to date the image as no later than Coronation year, 1953, though it took a while for the new Queens Crown badges to filter through to everybody.

The photo could date from - say - 1950, and the man could quite easily still have been serving right up until the 1970s, possibly even the 80s, so the suggestion in post #10 above that he saw service in the 1960s is perfectly possible.

Dwarf

LE
Looks to me that he is wearing No 1 Dress rather than khaki SD, and a regimentally coloured side hat. The RAMC side hat was dark blue with a dark crimson crown. The two colours might not stand out as different on an old b/w photo.

As somebody has pointed out, the collar badges bear the old "King's Crown", so this would seem to date the image as no later than Coronation year, 1953, though it took a while for the new Queens Crown badges to filter through to everybody.

The photo could date from - say - 1950, and the man could quite easily still have been serving right up until the 1970s, possibly even the 80s, so the suggestion in post #10 above that he saw service in the 1960s is perfectly possible.
There might be a difference in tracking him down as pre-WW1 it was NF, post WW1 RNF.
RNF side cap was IIRC dark green below maroon on top.

There might be a difference in tracking him down as pre-WW1 it was NF, post WW1 RNF.
RNF side cap was IIRC dark green below maroon on top.
IMHO it's a much more recent photograph, late 1940s/early 1950s, though the condition makes it look older.
Any allusion to the Fighting Fifth is a red herring - the RAMC badges are as clear as can be.

Dwarf

LE
IMHO it's a much more recent photograph, late 1940s/early 1950s, though the condition makes it look older.
Any allusion to the Fighting Fifth is a red herring - the RAMC badges are as clear as can be.
I'm clear about the RAMC badge, but if he was NF/RNF attached then the unit designation could make a difference. The cap does make it look more modern than WW1 that I will agree.

Latest Threads