Help required tracing details of ancestors who served in RA

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by mad-ferret, Sep 26, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, my family have asked me for help in finding details about my late grandfather who served in the Royal Artillery during WW2. We have very little details, not even his service number (although this will hopefully follow at a later date).

Is there a RA veterans organisation? I'm not RA so I have no idea. Any help would be very much appreciated.
  2. Service Records are not held by Regimental Headquarters. For the period up to and including the First World War, these are available at the

Public Record Office,

Ruskin Avenue

Kew Richmond

Surrey W9 4DU.

Post World War I records are held at

Army Personnel Centre,

Historic Disclosures (Mailpoint 400),

Kentigern House,

65 Brown Street,

Glasgow G2 8EX.

Look at this website first:

National Archives (Army) as they have a guide to tracing your military ancestors
  3. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

4. Hi Mad-Ferret

There are some links in the ARRSEpedia that might help:

ARRSEpedia Military Genealogy

To get any sensible information, you really need to be able to find his service number. If you can tell me which Regiment or Bty he was with, I can tell you where they were and what they did during WW2.

There is a veterans' association, the Royal Artillery Association, whose webpage is here.

They have a guide to tracing your ancestors as well, here.

Kind regards

5. wow, thanks very much dudes. As I said, we're awaiting details of his service number (currently help by none-cooperating family members), so I'm sure with that information I'll have many avenues to explore.

Thanks again guys!!!