Help required identifying uniforms

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by SCDC, Jun 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A friend of mine in Canada has asked for help in identifying the Regiment depicted by the uniforms being worn on these models.

Any help, suggestions gratefully received

Attached Files:

2. The Bandsmen are from an English Infantry regiment as identified by the white facings on the collars and cuffs. The blue helmets date the period as after 1878. There may be an identification of the regiment on the drum. Officially Full Dress for the Infantry was discontinued in 1914 although some bands continue to wear the uniform up to the present day. The regiment is likely to be one of the following;
    The Lincolnshire Regiment, The Prince of Wales's Own Regiment of Yorkshire, The East Yorkshire Regiment, The Bedfordshire Regiment (or after 1919 The Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Regiment), The Lancashire Fusiliers, The South Wales Borderers (from 1881-1905), The Welch Regiment, The East Lancashire Regiment, The Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry, The South Staffordshire Regiment (from 1881-1935), The Loyal Regiment, The Manchester Regiment, The North Staffordshire Regiment (from 1881-1937), The York and Lancaster Regiment or The Durham Light Infantry, all of which wore the same scarlet tunic with white facings.

3. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I don't think your photo is giving us much chance but if you can get a picture of the drums there might be badge on that. Might it be a Canadian Regt or a reserve one?

4. A Canadian Regiment seems a valid option to me seeing as in the second picture on the bottom left there appears to be a kilt of what I imagine is a piper. However the soldiers seem to be wearing the home service helmet and as far as I'm aware they wear the Wolseley in Canada. Does the tartan correspond with any pattern?

5. Some very fine old Regimental names there BadgeHistorian. Many of them were still in existence when I first Joined.

6. Yellow 'national' facings would indicate a Scottish regiment. This page from Wikipedia is a pretty clear explanation (assuming it's right, of course): Childers reforms

7. Tell me about it, Basso! Same here too. Where've they all gone? What have they done to our British Army?

MsG