Help required. Connecting Sky through ethernet

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by PrinceAlbert, Feb 5, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My new pad has intelligent data-cabling.

I can connect my skyHD box from the RF out to the rest of the house via an ethernet port, to transmit Sky to all rooms.

I can't find a cable to do this though! I've looked, and found nothing. Any help would be appreciated.

I would go to the company that cabled the place (AST Homenet) but they've gone bust.
  2. What style of connector is in the walls, and is there an ethernet switch/hub built in?

Perhaps a quick browse at RS Components will help?
  3. RJ45 at the wall. The switch is fully integrated
  4. Are you saying that you wish to connect the RF outlet of your Sky box to an ethernet socket in the wall, and are looking for a cable with an RJ45 plug at one end, and an f-connector at the other?
  5. Coax to rj45
  6. RF through an unscreened cable is not the best idea. Is the plan to connect a telly straight to the ethernet socket in another room?
  7. The only product I know of that would do this was an ethernet transceiver, from 10BaseT to RJ45, and that is technology that went out of fashion about the time we decommissioned Larkspur!

Is there any recommendation for such a cable from the Sky+ box manufacturer?
  8. I assume the cable is screened. That's exactly the plan.
  9. I don't think it would be screened. Why not connect it to the RGB and audio sockets? You could make your own cables by cutting standard ethernet cables in half, and with each half, connect RCA plugs. You can buy RCA plugs easily enough, just make sure you wire each set identically.
  10. Are you looking for HDMI over ethernet? Connect the HDMI output on your Sky box to an ethernet socket? Belkin do a cable here.
  11. That's just an HDMI cable. An overpriced one at that.
  12. [​IMG]

Found what I need. Someone had kindly left a couple for me to find.