Help Requested

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by MightyGem, Nov 21, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can any old and bold help here?

2. MG,

Network access restrictions here. Can you give a heads up?

SS

3. Closest I get is a couple of pages in Clive Langmead's Wings Like Eagles which says it was SA fire.

4. Thanks Jinxy,

I should think that jonwilly would be able to help out on that one.

ATB
    SS

5. I knew him, but in April 74 I was in 71 AC Wksps. Detmold.
    Can't place the incident, which suggests to me it was probably a Flying Accident and not enemy action, but I do not know.
    john
    Would Flight International have it in their records ?
    WO II pilots where very rare in those days and I am sure he would have been a QHI.
    Second edit
    Is April 74 a for sure date ?
    Third edit
    I keep trying to visulise him but keep getting Dave P a WO II with 660, he gave me one my most severe braceing ups as only a Inf Sgt Maj could.

6. There was an incident in NI in the 70's involving the TAC radio - I think it was the B37 radio but I could be wrong. Anyway. said radio was installed as an afterthought - as always - upside down in between the two front seats and it was very trickey to retune in flight. IIRC there was a fatal accident involving the aircraft flying into the ground and the speculation at the time was that the pilot could have been trying to tune the radio whilst low flying and became destracted. This all happened before I started flying but it was mentioned to me during my Scout conversion in '78. The radio had been pretty much replaced by the ARC 44 by the time I got to my first squadron but there were one or two B37s around still.

I hope this helps but I cannot remember the name of the pilot. only that he was a well respected WO2.

Beef

7. Not that it matters in this casebut I'm pretty sure it was the B 47 that was used (also mounted in the scout sort of upside down at the rear of the centre console if my memory serves me right! At least it wasn't a C 42 (The C 42 is a VHF FM Man-portable radio said the pamphlet!!--Yeah right)

8. Try Aviation Standards at Middle Wallop. They keep a data base on all AAC stuff like that. If you ask under the freedom of information act they have to give you the info.

9. MG...........Thanks for bringing this to our attention. It was just before my time but I have a contact working on it at the Belfast Central Library and any information that I get will be passed onto the person on the other means. It would appear that the gentleman in question flew into high ground outside Bessbrook in bad weather whilst distracted by the stupid radio that they had at the time.
    Regards. KR

10. A crash at Bessbrooke sounds right and the radio instalation was a problem as was the heater lever mounted next to main HP co ck. DR would not have been ACC in those days, but serving with a AAC unit.
    B47/48 Radio mounted upside down between the seats, The ARC 44 was mounted in the lefthand side 'panel' below the engine deck.
    ARC 44 was standbye radio used with RAF Hunters, so at places like Aldergrove and B-kelly you had good back up support from the Crabs.
    john

11. Thanks guys.

12. Thanks guys.

13. If anyone is interested I have posted articles from the Belfast Telegraph on PPruNe with reference to the crash.