Help request for info on a 1 ton land rover

Fergi

Swinger
Hi ,
Im hoping you can help me find out a bit about my 1 ton land rover , I found its record card but can't find out what the UIN numbers are. I've had this truck since 1995 having bought it from a garden where it was working as a chicken shed, just recently I took it to bits and rebuilt it as a project to keep me sane after an industrial accident. I'd just love to know a bit more about it so if anyone can shed light in or translate this card I'd be very grateful .
Thanks in anticipation

Fergi

Screenshot_2020-02-23-00-21-52.png

NemoIII

War Hero
Hi ,
Im hoping you can help me find out a bit about my 1 ton land rover , I found its record card but can't find out what the UIN numbers are. I've had this truck since 1995 having bought it from a garden where it was working as a chicken shed, just recently I took it to bits and rebuilt it as a project to keep me sane after an industrial accident. I'd just love to know a bit more about it so if anyone can shed light in or translate this card I'd be very grateful .
Thanks in anticipation

Fergi

View attachment 451677
The UIN is just the Unit Identification Number. Scots DG is A0112A for example.

The information you require is on the form. UIN is the code, Unit Title is the longhand version.

Incidentally, the vehicle is 1 tonne, not 1 ton, colloquially referred to as a "One Tunny". It was one of the first to go metric while the 1/2 and 3/4 ton land rovers stayed imperial.

feu_de_joie

War Hero
The units in the centre column are: Queen’s Dragoon Guards (QDG) and Sixteen Fifth Lancers (16/5L) where it was held by the Light Aid Detachment Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (LADREME). Someone will probably be able to tell you where both units were based

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
The UIN is just the Unit Identification Number. Scots DG is A0112A for example.
In pre-computer days it was the Unit Imprest Number, identifying the public imprest account run by the Unit Paymaster. Leading A indicates Army. Trailing A indicates it's a main account. It was extremely rare to see anything other than A as a suffix, indicating an independent subunit. I suspect when my Squadron was UNFICYP Force Reserve Squadron and another was Cyprus Sovereign Base Armoured Car Squadron, we used A0124B and A0124C respectively (which coincidentally were our respective squadrons) while the bulk of the regiment (including A Squadron) continued with A0124A. I couldn't tell you because I don't have pay statements from 43 years ago.

Whether A Squadron continued with A0124B after they replaced us, I neither know nor care.

When I was RAPC Computer Centre, 85-89, I realised how valuable UIN was, and it was entirely logical to retain it as Unit Identification Number.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
The units in the centre column are: Queen’s Dragoon Guards (QDG) and Sixteen Fifth Lancers (16/5L) where it was held by the Light Aid Detachment Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (LADREME). Someone will probably be able to tell you where both units were based
16/5L were in Wolfenbüttel until at least 1978 when I drove a Rebro Ferret to their Field HQ on a note carrying mission on exercise. I'd put the chances of them not having been moved on around the Arms Plot by 1984 at slightly less than 50/50.

They were considered to be THE tripwire. If 3 Shock Army moved, 16/5L's life expectancy right on the IGB was 20 minutes.

Edited half a dozen times because the stupid fúcking cúnting twátting speelchucker knew that it knew better what I was typing.

Edited again because on reflection it was probably 1979, when we were Orange Forces on their (1 Armd Div. They were 1 Armd Div Recce Regiment; we were 3 ditto) FTX in 1979. In which case I must have borrowed a Ferret because that year I was Zero Bravo Control Signaller.

Last edited:
The 16/5 were in Herford in the late 80's IIRC.

Hi ,
Thanks in anticipation

Fergi

View attachment 451677
A great way of keeping you active following your accident - hope you are now fully recovered.
I used to have a 1 tonne Box Body Landrover on the RRBs at 4 ADSR - a superb bit of kit, although a little too heavy when fully laden, so had to be driven with care, particularly off road.
I remember when we received 8 of them, brand new from the factory in 1982 and we spent a number of weeks fitting them out with the new secure Clansman Radios and IBRU. A real step change from the old 3/4 ton long wheel base FFR, which was fitted out with Larkspur C42s and Bid 150.
God, I’m old! :grin:

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
A great way of keeping you active following your accident - hope you are now fully recovered.
I used to have a 1 tonne Box Body Landrover on the RRBs at 4 ADSR - a superb bit of kit, although a little too heavy when fully laden, so had to be driven with care, particularly off road.
I remember when we received 8 of them, brand new from the factory in 1982 and we spent a number of weeks fitting them out with the new secure Clansman Radios and IBRU. A real step change from the old 3/4 ton long wheel base FFR, which was fitted out with Larkspur C42s and Bid 150.
God, I’m old! :grin:
Were you at 4ADSR in 1982?

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
Yes mate. 81-84 in 2 Sqn, RRB Tp. I was a full screw at the time.
Aha! We've met.

I was the PMC screws mess in 1983. First non Sigs to get the post.

My full time gig was the full screw Recy Mech at the LAD from 82 to 84.

As i/c Recovery, I was HQ Sqn. Major M....n.

One of my favourite postings for work. My CV looked gleaming when I left Herford. So many technical winch jobs getting your lads off hill tops.

Fergi

Swinger
Goodness me lots of info very quickly! I do confess to knowing it should be 1 tonne but fortunately for me the special spelling wizard changed it otherwise I wouldn't have known it went metric! Must be only metric by name though , a lot of it I think was French gas bicycle reverse threads when I took it apart .
Thank you all so much for the info thus far

16/5L were in Wolfenbüttel until at least 1978 when I drove a Rebro Ferret to their Field HQ on a note carrying mission on exercise. I'd put the chances of them not having been moved on around the Arms Plot by 1984 at slightly less than 50/50.

They were considered to be THE tripwire. If 3 Shock Army moved, 16/5L's life expectancy right on the IGB was 20 minutes.

Edited half a dozen times because the stupid fúcking cúnting twátting speelchucker knew that it knew better what I was typing.

Edited again because on reflection it was probably 1979, when we were Orange Forces on their (1 Armd Div. They were 1 Armd Div Recce Regiment; we were 3 ditto) FTX in 1979. In which case I must have borrowed a Ferret because that year I was Zero Bravo Control Signaller.
I discovered how to disable speelchucker last year and am sure I will live 2 years longer as a result.

Another question ! What is a light aid detachment and what does it do ?
A LAD is a 'small' REME workshop that is part of another unit, for example an infantry battalion, and responsible for first line repairs for that unit both in barracks and the field.

A LAD is a 'small' REME workshop that is part of another unit, for example an infantry battalion, and responsible for first line repairs for that unit both in barracks and the field.
Indeed, we had one at 28 sigs during my stay there 69-71, that was both NATO and BAOR for stocks purposes. Incidentally @ Alien FTM, Istr that 28 sigs was given a 30 Minute existence if the balloon went up, given we were Northag. Just out of interest the 1 Ton, is it a conventional or a FC Version?

Indeed, we had one at 28 sigs during my stay there 69-71, that was both NATO and BAOR for stocks purposes. Incidentally @ Alien FTM, Istr that 28 sigs was given a 30 Minute existence if the balloon went up, given we were Northag. Just out of interest the 1 Ton, is it a conventional or a FC Version?
I was with 280 Sig Sqn at St Tonis in 94-96. By then 28 Sig Regt had reduced to a single sub unit. I recall the HGV vehicles were all subject to an annual German TUV, over and above the usual British maintenance regime. I always thought that made it particularly interesting for our REME detachment (or a pain in the arse)?

Latest Threads