Help regarding training

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by PRC-349, Mar 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well chaps here is my problem:

I have acquired a nasty pain in both my shins that occurs when walking at a quick pace or running. I am unsure whether it is actually shin splints or something else (as I read somewhere on here splints are often assumed when it could be something else)

However I have my final Phase 1B weekend at Grantham coming up next week and need to trim 20 seconds of my run time but I can't afford to risk further 'damage' to myself. Is there any way I can still work towards working those seconds off my time without putting more stress on my shins or any recommended exercises to help get rid of the suspected splints?

As always your help and advice is most appreciated

2. First thing you need to do is see your Doctor. Self-diagnosis is to be avoided where possible.

If it is shin-splints, ask the Doc or the instructor at your local gym about alternative exercises while your legs heal; I think Treadmills are slightly less stressful in terms of impact, but you really need to speak to an expert.

Good luck! :D

3. Cheers wolf, will get onto it ASAP

4. Hi PRC-349,

Doctors should be the first on your agenda as miss diognosis may result in you treating an injury that isnt there.

If it is shin splint then there is no harm in getting a head start whilst waiting for the doctor/physio diagnosis.

Apply R.I.C.E

R - Rest you legs when ever possible
    I - Ice your lower legs (Apply ice in blocks of 10 minutes followed by no ice for 15 minutes)
    C- Compress your lower legs by wrapping an elastic bandage around the affected areas
    E - Elevate the legs above heart level

Should the cause of your problem not be shin splints, this strategy will still help your legs in the recovery phase if you have been performing alot of walking/running activities.

5. Don't worry about it Walt.

Clearly as you will be 'Fast Tracked' into the regular Army, PT will hold no problems for you.

In fact I reckon as soon as you turn up at your Depot they will immediately promote you to SSGT and put you in charge of PT.

And everything else.

6. Haven't you been O2 Tagged yet you fecking chopper? pis$ off and stop trolling

anyway, isnt it time you were at school?