Help regarding Malta war graves cemeteries

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by mmcm, Mar 21, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Apologies. Wasn't sure where to post this? I had an Uncle on my mothers side who died during WW2 in Malta and as I am going there for a short holiday soon, I thought it would be nice to visit the grave. Obviously, a friend of his sent these photos - free image hosting / image upload of his funeral in Malta and apart from that, it's all I know about. My fater died and just got round to looking through old photographs and I thought you guys could help let me know how to locate the grave yard? I am hoping to find more information on him as I look through the photos and old paperwork, letters and such and hopefully get more info from them. I guess the grandparents had the most information but long gone now. Going back to searching through things again so will pop in later tonight and hopefully get some guidance as to what to do next? Thank you
  2. Have you tried the Commonwealth War Graves Commission site? CWGC - Homepage

use the 'Find War Dead' facility, top right corner.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. No pics show up. If you could post the pics, I'll have a look for you.
  4. My uncle 2 Btln Royal Hampshire Regt was killed during the siege of Malta and is buried in the old garrison cemetery. I found all the details via the CWGC web site and visited last year. However, due to the rock formation on the island many cemeteries are mass graves. Nonetheless his grave was a fitting tribute and easily found with the help of a local taxi driver.
    I hope your search ends well.
  5. So you took a wild guess and stuck it in the "Current Affairs, News & Analysis" forum.