HELP - re-enlistment woes

Discussion in 'AGC, RAPTC and SASC' started by hotel_60, Aug 31, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Originally posted in the RHQ forum but re-posting here under advice...

Hope someone can help with this...

I left the regular army in 2001 but mobilised on Telic 5 as a regular reservist between Nov 04 and May 05. Whilst out there, I made the decision to re-enlist into the regs and submitted the paperwork through SO2 Manning in theatre. I originally wanted to go into the AMS but, after spending a week's attachment at a med centre on my return to the UK and having had an interview with the relevant PSO, I decided that the AMS wasn't for me and to apply for the AGC instead.

On phoning Glasgow to discuss this, I was told that the application had been withdrawn completely and that I would have to re-apply from scratch, this time via my local recruiting office. On going there today, I was told that I would need a civvy medical (despite having had one for re-enlistment on my return Iraq at RTMC), would have to attend the Recruit Selection Centre (despite not having had to for my original application) etc. Basically, the full works for someone coming fresh from civvy street.

It seems odd that this application is being handled in a radically different way from the one I made in Iraq, not to mention somewhat strange that I have to attend RSC and have a BARB test despite having only just come back from Iraq and passed all the relevant ITDs. What's changed in 2 months or so? Obviously, I am more than willing to do whatever it takes to get back in the army but equally I don't want to make extra unnessecary work for anyone.

Can anyone who is in the know tell me whether this is normal in my situation? I'm asking here because, quite frankly, no one else seems to listen when I try to explain the situation!

Any help would be majorly appreciated!
  2. Perhaps its because they are winding more reg army units down but they can't get enough people to be cannon fodder in Iraq. Sounds like you got one up the hoop, a position which is becoming standard practice in the MOD today. I'd say feck them and try something else.
  3. Hotel_60,

The steps they want you to take or not particulary normal but the procedures for rejoiners are never the same. A couple of questions:

1. How old are you?
    2. What Regt/Corp were you in before you left?
    3. What trade would you liuke to go into within the AGC?
    4. What rank did you leave at and how long had you served.

By all means PM me the details if you would prefer and I'll see what I can sort out for you.

4. Thanks for the replies fellas...

In reply to your questions Rooper:

1. 27
    2. Royal Engineers
    3. Military Clerk
    4. Sapper, 5 years reckonable service

5. Hello i could do with some sort of answer to same sort of question have posted same question in RHQ as well the more answers the better realy thanks
    i left the RLC 1 year and 10 months ago after 9 years 328 days, with an exemplary discharge
    i have been to the careers office and they sent a copy of my red book to records with the request to re enlist i was a Lcpl RLC Supply spec and thats what i want to go back to i left at the time because i was going through a very bad divorce did a year with the MPGS pay not good and had 10 months as a civvy my fitness is very good still and thats stated in my red book
    my main worry is that im 36 years and will get turned down because of this