Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help please,

Robsa68

Swinger
HI,first post from a long time lurker.
Im trying to find out about my grandads great war service and im not having a deal of luck and having seen how on the ball you guys are i thought i'd see if you might have any more joy than me.
I was aware as a kid my Grandad had been in the first war.( typical tom. He had quite a few 'gizzits' around the house, i.e german bayonet, shell cases, fair bit of trench art etc) but he wouldn't talk at all about it other than him persuading a German officer that he'd like him to give him his watch and mr Wilkinson Sword had the final say and when they threw a French mayor down a well for trying to charge them a franc each for using it as the marched to the front.
Well this has surfaced recently. Found by my uncle when having a sort out
7cba1f6eb325ac8a46a5c70be4905806.0~2.jpg

Can anyone help? We always thought he'd been infantry ( south staffs and/or notts and derbys. ) anything would be much appreciated thanks in advance.

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
What was his first name, and do you know date of birth or death?

slick

LE
As Frostee said, more details if you have them ?
Do you know where he passed away ?
His birthplace and date ?

Only information from that document:
G.W. Rouse, 301926, driver in Royal Engineers, 68th (Welsh)Division

Calling @FourZeroCharlie

Last edited:

Robsa68

Swinger
Yes thats grandad Frostie. 2 farm cottage, old hackney lane, matlock.
Slick, yeah i tried years ago to find out about him then it sort of slipped into the background. Then that bit of paper surfaced very recently and its got me wondering again.

This is great that you guys helping out. I just got a dead end when i tried.

Yes thats grandad Frostie. 2 farm cottage, old hackney lane, matlock.
Slick, yeah i tried years ago to find out about him then it sort of slipped into the background. Then that bit of paper surfaced very recently and its got me wondering again.

This is great that you guys helping out. I just got a dead end when i tried.

Once @FourZeroCharlie sees this he ought to be able to help. Some of the records he manages to dig up are astounding.

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
There's quite a few linked records I can download - PM me your email address and I'll forward on.

I'm sure I heard that Ancestry.com was free up till 11 November for searches and documents. Might help.

slick

LE
Got a death index and two censuses stating a birthdate of 04/12/1892.
1939 register, listed as council worker, married to Florence, children Elizabeth and Robert
1911 census listed as William Rouse aged 18, also ties in with father and mothers name in 1901 census. ??

Robsa68

Swinger
Got a death index and two censuses stating a birthdate of 04/12/1892.
1939 register, listed as council worker, married to Florence, children Elizabeth and Robert
1911 census listed as William Rouse aged 18, also ties in with father and mothers name in 1901 census. ??
Thats him,nana,my aunt and my dad. They havent got my uncle Eric though. He was army during ww2. In the kosb for the last couple of years.

slick

LE
Thats him,nana,my aunt and my dad. They havent got my uncle Eric though. He was army during ww2. In the kosb for the last couple of years.
Well that ties in with the service record I posted above. Looks like his first foray into service life lasted just over a month, Sept 1914 to Oct 1914.
It needs a better pair of eyes than mine to read the handwriting but I think he was discharged due to a hernia ?
Did he manage to get that sorted and re enlist at some point ?

Well that ties in with the service record I posted above. Looks like his first foray into service life lasted just over a month, Sept 1914 to Oct 1914.
It needs a better pair of eyes than mine to read the handwriting but I think he was discharged due to a hernia ?

KR para 392 iii has (at his time of enlistment) 7 sub paras allowing for discharge. Mostly for medical reasons-that is, a subsequent medical examination highlighted something missed at his attestation medical or (as would seem to be the case here) a hernia induced by military training.

KRs 1912 para 392 had 28 sub paras, all of which had varying numbers of sub paras also.

It is truly a thing of bureaucratic beauty :)

Robsa68

Swinger
There was never any mention of grandad having ever had a hernia. He was working his small farm up till the day he died and played football before and after the war, (this is getting very interesting).So im presuming he got it sorted. Btw. No one ever called my grandad George it was as always Bill or Billy.

Latest Threads