Help please

#1
Have been advised to post this on here from RP. Not sure which forum so....
A shot in the dark but does anyone know where the names of past/present conflicts originate from eg Operation Telic and who names them. Having to write a new SOL as we are introducing a new unit..Military Geography ...at school. Am trying to get this finished tonight and am pre-empting possible questions we may get asked

Edited to add: Have tried googling it but responses Ive looked at are a bit vague and just dont have time to trawl 1000's of websites
 
#2
As far as I remember all ex and op names are computer generated. They are then checked to make sure they are not too stupid. One would not like to be leading an invasion of Iraq under the name OP POOFTER, and of course the name should not give any clue as to its meaning. However, the yanks have not grasped this bit of opsec so they come up with the name OP DESERT STORM which is a huge hint, while we have OP GRANBY which is meaningless.

Exercises should normally have code names make up of two words e.g. EX GREEN FINGER, while operations normally consist of one word OP CORPORATE for example.

Of course examples can be found that do not conform to this.

Hope this helps
 
#3
TIGER-MONKEY said:
As far as I remember all ex and op names are computer generated. They are then checked to make sure they are not too stupid. One would not like to be leading an invasion of Iraq under the name OP POOFTER, and of course the name should not give any clue as to its meaning. However, the yanks have not grasped this bit of opsec so they come up with the name OP DESERT STORM which is a huge hint, while we have OP GRANBY which is meaningless.

Exercises should normally have code names make up of two words e.g. EX GREEN FINGER, while operations normally consist of one word OP CORPORATE for example.

Of course examples can be found that do not conform to this.

Hope this helps
Thank you...appreciated
 
#6
TIGER-MONKEY said:
As far as I remember all ex and op names are computer generated. They are then checked to make sure they are not too stupid. One would not like to be leading an invasion of Iraq under the name OP POOFTER, and of course the name should not give any clue as to its meaning. However, the yanks have not grasped this bit of opsec so they come up with the name OP DESERT STORM which is a huge hint, while we have OP GRANBY which is meaningless.

Exercises should normally have code names make up of two words e.g. EX GREEN FINGER, while operations normally consist of one word OP CORPORATE for example.

Of course examples can be found that do not conform to this.

Hope this helps
Uh... your kidding right? What sort of OPSEC do you think would of prevented Saddam from discerning our intentions when we were flooding a neighboring country with a quarter million men, thousands of armored vehicles, and thousands of aircraft? Kinda hard to keep deployments like that secretive in this day and age. ODS was named so for both intimidation and domestic consumption as a pure propaganda tool.
 
#7
Went a little rampant with OPERATION CHARGE OF THE KNIGHTS - sounds like a Monty Python sketch.
 
#8
To quote Churchill in 1943:

Intelligent thought will already supply an unlimited number of well-sounding names that do not suggest the character of the operation or disparage it in any way and do not enable some widow or mother to say that her son was killed in an operation called "Bunnyhug" or "Ballyhoo."
 
#9
Khyros said:
TIGER-MONKEY said:
As far as I remember all ex and op names are computer generated. They are then checked to make sure they are not too stupid. One would not like to be leading an invasion of Iraq under the name OP POOFTER, and of course the name should not give any clue as to its meaning. However, the yanks have not grasped this bit of opsec so they come up with the name OP DESERT STORM which is a huge hint, while we have OP GRANBY which is meaningless.

Exercises should normally have code names make up of two words e.g. EX GREEN FINGER, while operations normally consist of one word OP CORPORATE for example.

Of course examples can be found that do not conform to this.

Hope this helps
Uh... your kidding right? What sort of OPSEC do you think would of prevented Saddam from discerning our intentions when we were flooding a neighboring country with a quarter million men, thousands of armored vehicles, and thousands of aircraft? Kinda hard to keep deployments like that secretive in this day and age. ODS was named so for both intimidation and domestic consumption as a pure propaganda tool.
But if a spy was hanging round the Pentagon or Washigton and heard the term dessert storm he is likely to know what it is. Overhearing the term Granby could just mean the annual jolly boys to the Marquis of Granby. Americans not only lack the sarcasm and irony jeans but are also deficient in subtlety. Everyone in Britain knew what Granby was once we had gone through the breach. I did hear about the Americans on 'Operation Feint to the left flank then up Wadi Al Batan and Surprise Them'. Apparently they had to abandon that op because they think it may have become compromised! :lol:

PS, sorry, how rude of me: For the RAF Regiment an Operation is carried out against an enemy or for a real task. ;)
 
#10
Markintime said:
But if a spy was hanging round the Pentagon or Washigton and heard the term dessert storm he is likely to know what it is. Overhearing the term Granby could just mean the annual jolly boys to the Marquis of Granby. Americans not only lack the sarcasm and irony jeans but are also deficient in subtlety. Everyone in Britain knew what Granby was once we had gone through the breach. I did hear about the Americans on 'Operation Feint to the left flank then up Wadi Al Batan and Surprise Them'. Apparently they had to abandon that op because they think it may have become compromised! :lol:

PS, sorry, how rude of me: For the RAF Regiment an Operation is carried out against an enemy or for a real task. ;)
If a spy heard "Dessert Storm" he probably would wander down to the chow hall in the five sided wind tunnel looking for some gourmet treats... ;)
 
#12
dingerr said:
Went a little rampant with OPERATION CHARGE OF THE KNIGHTS - sounds like a Monty Python sketch.
This was an Iraqi Named Op that they failed to tell to coalition about until it had began. In Arabic it no doubt comes across differently, however for the actual Op it fit the nature of what Gen M wanted to achieve.
 
#13
Some sad git sits in his little hole of an office in MoD Main Building at Whitehall with a bunch of like minded sycophants and they make it up as they go along.

No. Sorry. Got it wrong. Thats the Defence Secretary.
 

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads

Top