Help Please! - Pro Boots

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Pebble_Monkey, Sep 6, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've got myself a pair of pro boots and was wondering if anyone alse with them uses normal polish on them. The instructions that come with the boots says not to as it affects the performance of the gore-tex.

I was just wondering what everyone else thought?
  2. Unknown_Quantity

Unknown_Quantity War Hero Moderator

I never had a problem using normal Kiwi stuff. The only problem I got was that the leather on one boot perished in one area, then split but I don't think that's related to my choice of polish. I now have one boot that works and the other in the bin... I wonder of anyone on ebay wants to buy one boot?
  3. I had the same problem U_Q. One of mine split, I was told it probably was because I used bog standard kiwi !

It was my left, I dont suppose you have a size 9 left do you :D
  4. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Has anyone had a pair of pro boot soles come to pieces in the same way that assault boots do?
  5. Do you mean split in two or three places from the ball of the foot to the heel? If so yes :?
  6. i haven't had a problem using normal polish on my proboots - had them for about 2 years now, and still waterproof, no splits, or owt.

7. Unknown_Quantity

Unknown_Quantity War Hero Moderator

Unlucky! It's a left 10 with spashes of white paint on it...
  8. Try polishing just the *outside* of the boot.

9. Very funny Bravo_Bravo :lol:
    I'm not that stupid :wink:

Thanks for the advice so far.
  10. Got my first pair in early 90's when they were being trialled. I've still got them and they are brilliant. I was issued another pair and they lasted about a year before the leather split on both boots, just below where the laces end on the outside.

I can only assume that what we trialled used better leather than the ones that are being issued now.

11. msr

msr LE

Now, there's a surprise... I can recall speaking to my old CSM, who was on the trials team for the SA80 and he recalled that the trials weapons were lovingly crafted.

12. The ones used on trial were made in the factory in Wales, I remeber going there and getting a set, then the MOD decided to by the 'same' boot from a different manufacture, Brazilian I believe, and guess what...? They CRAP!!!

Same goes for the Assualt Boot, the ones trialed were the dogs dangles, the ones issued now.............. :roll:

And the same goes for the CS95, trialed, brill, issued, due to the fact that it is from the cheapest manufacture, in Eastern Europe, is crap!!!

I'm so glad we joined the EU, its those laws that mean we have to shop out to the cheapest competitor, even forgien ones, suposidly in the EU, and when they win the contract they then sub it out to sweat shops else wehre!!!

All in all it ends up costing more than if it was all kept in the UK, the quailty would then be better.

I dont see the US Army subbing out its uniform or boot contracts, made in prisons yes! Now that is an idea!!! :?
  13. Captain_Crusty

Captain_Crusty War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

Getting back to the original point of the thread...

Have had mine for five years now and have had absolutley no problems using normal kiwi.

14. Neo

Neo Clanker

Our troop had a similar problem, especially in snow etc. We reverted to using Nick Wax and it seemed to do the trick. Saying that another pair did the same old "cracked below the laces" so could be down to leather used. the Nick Wax was a godsend though.
  15. So far i have only been using nikwax, but i think i will also use kiwi polish when they get really manky.