help please my sad saga.

4(T)

LE
Before he plunged into dementia, my dad made me his executor and changed his will with instruction that I distribute his estate "as I see fit".

I've already had about ten years of pure poison from sister and mother (his ex-wife, divorced 40 years ago ffs!). Now I've got more years of blame and acrimony to look forward to - especially as he's now in a care home and probably won't have a bean left to pass on.

Yes, do everything through a really good family solicitor, regardless of cost. Everyone needs top cover to protect from "family"....

No idea.

Just tell them that you are on bennies and can pay back at £1 a week.
Exactly . . . I'm sure you said you had already spent it . . . ;) .

It was good enough for Shakespeare in Henry VI after all:

' The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers'
Sadly it is also one of his more misunderstood lines. Contrary to popular belief, the proposal was not designed to restore sanity to commercial life. Rather, it was intended to eliminate those who might stand in the way of a contemplated revolution - thus underscoring the important role that lawyers can play in society.

Sadly it is also one of his more misunderstood lines. Contrary to popular belief, the proposal was not designed to restore sanity to commercial life. Rather, it was intended to eliminate those who might stand in the way of a contemplated revolution - thus underscoring the important role that lawyers can play in society.
Like a steam engine governor; the two brass balls of avarice and indolence, slowing things down. A bit prejudiced at the moment, trying to sell/buy houses. All three parties have no mortgage worries, property deeds available and still they drag it out with previously answered questions. A small grr if I may?

Like a steam engine governor; the two brass balls of avarice and indolence, slowing things down. A bit prejudiced at the moment, trying to sell/buy houses. All three parties have no mortgage worries, property deeds available and still they drag it out with previously answered questions. A small grr if I may?
Of course things were different when Shakespeare was writing.
My solicitor is brilliant. Easy on the eye, takes no prisoners and is very efficient. As for your conveyancing, now the stamp duty frenzy is nearing an end, things will get back to the usual glacial speeds quite soon.
Good luck with it.

Aphra

Old-Salt
Oh yes, absolutely.. As a former legal executive it was an oft-quoted line aimed at me when things got heated!

Thread drift - I've only recently learned that the phrase Blood is thicker than water' may not mean what I thought it did. Apparently, it's now thought to refer to bonds forged in battle (blood) being stronger than those forged in the womb (water), which actually makes sense IMHO. Every day etc......

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
Thanks troops , getting this off my chest in a no names no pack drill forum cheered me up no end , youd have thought that I would have gotten over all this but every contact with my brother and sister brings on a depression. They are not intrinsically bad people its just Family and wills syndrome .
Ive locked up the noose,made some plans with my bit of the dosh , spent some of it on paying for extra tuition for one of my grandchildren who is working her way to become a vet , put some by for the others when they might need it, provided a couple of charity donations and will buy something completely useless but something that Ive always wanted like a viet nam era soldiers plastic watch or a Years subscription to wiankers weekly .

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
But it's still a good idea, all things considered.

There are multiple interpretations - the one you have stated is one, and one supported by, surprise, lawyers.

See one explanation here:

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
END GAME :
After interrogating my mum's will my sister ,who knew nothing about it , was the sole executor and signed the will seemed to be at the heart of me getting zero.

It was my mum's intention 30 years ago to leave everything to her , however my brothers wife found out and crossed swords with my sister, hence the two way split.

On my Aunts will it appears after intervention by my mum and sister they talked my Aunt out of giving me an equal share of the will.

So I did not get a mention in Aunts will although my mum, siblings and surviving cousins did get equal shares .

Mum dies just a year before my Aunt and a clause in the will said that HER shares should be split between her children equally. Hence me getting by default a third share of their benefit.

Oh How my sister is pissed off at me getting what she considered to be her portion of the will.
So it all turns out to be greed , bloody families and wills fallout.

I shall spend the dosh well , knowing that I received it by default and its all the sweeter for it .

It now transpires that I was neglected as a baby and my aunts had to step up and take care of me , nappies ,bath and clothes etc. When my sister was born I was 10 and I had to do exactly the same looking after the baby feeding her ,changing nappies and putting clothes on her etc . I brought my sister up until she was five and I left home. It then fell to my brother to fulfill the task. However for two years my sister was fostered out and was angry with me for telling her this ! not at my mum and dad for their neglect .
This is where her resentment kicks in because she doesnt know the full story nor does she want to hear it at all. My brother plays dumb an sits on the sidelines.

So it s all worked itself out in the end , they got loads of money their equal share from the will plus one third of my mums bequest.

So all in all we each come out smiling. I shall not be paying the £1k tax let the executor and the brief fight it out .
Here endeth the saga .

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Now for the question, i feel hard done by but not enough to chuck myself under a buss or anything.
Saturday I got a notice from the trusties , my cousins, telling me that the Solicitors underpaid the taxes on the will and I need to send them a grand from my small bequest .

Do I have to legaly ??
I had the same happen to me when my dad popped off. The letter from the solicitors stated "accept this in full and final settlement of your father's estate". 2 weeks later, a letter wings it's way to myself and 2 brothers ref underpaid taxes and could I and my brothers send them X amount. I sent a copy of their letter with the relevant statement underlined along with one explaining that we would not be paying and any under payment on taxes was now their mistake so therefore they pay it (after all, they'd seen us off with 20K in fees, saying that they couldn't find one or other of us despite all being in the UK, paying taxes and being on the electoral roll), never heard a word again.

Last edited:

diverman

LE
Book Reviewer
An old legal maxim, 'Where there's a will there's a court case'. A family we know are going through something similar (adopted person being shut out) and when there is a sniff of money, their real character plays out. Hope you get a fair crack of the whip.
You want to see the vultures when someone is dying, they all come out sat around the bed as the person dies. Seen it too many times.

You want to see the vultures when someone is dying, they all come out sat around the bed as the person dies. Seen it too many times.
The main reason I have little to do with the flock of scavengers I call family after my mum died. I have two brothers (and their families) and that's it.

RTU'd

LE
Kill the others.
Invite them round to give them a cheque for monies owed.
During afternoon tea, poison them with weedkiller.
After all you are weeding them out of the will, your defence is insanity/not breast fed etc.
Probably get Broadmoor for a few years, nice lady nurses their.

I only got 18 months at Broadmoor but my asbo says can't talk about it.
Not allowed to make tea now & I make a killer brew.

'Kind Hearts and Coronets' has been mentioned before on this thread, but I consider it an excellent training film.

Aphra

Old-Salt
In these sort of cases, it's best to go legal. Refer the criminals, sorry, claimants, to the response in Arkell -v- Pressdram.

Last edited:
Invite them round to give them a cheque for monies owed.
During afternoon tea, poison them with weedkiller.
After all you are weeding them out of the will, your defence is insanity/not breast fed etc.
Probably get Broadmoor for a few years, nice lady nurses their.

I only got 18 months at Broadmoor but my asbo says can't talk about it.
Not allowed to make tea now & I make a killer brew.
Had you claimed that as a child you had to sit on a cold potty, you would have walked.

Probably received damages as well.

Then you could afford to have somebody in to make you tea.

Careful who you chose!!!!!

It's the one who's not at the bed side you need to keep an eye on.

They are the B8ST8RD's who are robbing all the good bits from the house.

Seen it done.

The SCUM.

Latest Threads