Help please!! Microsoft Outlook 2003 ...using/finding Contacts (emails)

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Jumping Jack, May 29, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello. I'm truly stumped.
    I need to make use of a system with Outlook 2003 version. Within it is a mine of really useful professional emails which have been given voluntarily. People who want to be contacted so don't worry this is not anything like spamming/hassling.
    Its just an old-ish system and I dont know how best to use it.
    In the past emails to all contacts have been done one at a time using the 'prompt' drop down box. ie you type in 'A' and all recipients with 'A' as start of email address appear. Same with 'B' etc.

To save time the aim to bulk email in BCC.

Thing is, when I go to contacts none show there.
    I've googled for help and followed instructions but best I have done so-far is create a .pst file on desktop which should have exported/copied all addresses but cannot get that file to open.

i'll chuck a few quid in the H4H tin as a thanks for any help. Thanks very much.
  2. FrosteeMARIA

FrosteeMARIA LE Gallery Guru

Sounds like you need to import the addresses into outlook first - the drop down selection only works once an address has been used before. If you have the addresses in an excel file or cdt or just plain old text file, then this should be fairly easy.

How to Import an Excel Address List Into Outlook 2003 | eHow
    How to Import Contacts from Excel or a CSV File into Outlook - About Email

It is all dependant on the file type you have the addresses in to begin with - in some, you can just select all the address and copy/paste into the BCC box of the email message.
  3. Hi FrosteeMARIA!! Nice to hear from you. Thank you, thank you!

I don't really know what that means yet but I'll try what you have suggested there. I'm quite 'good' with software etc but haven't taken much time to understand it. I intend to try and understand it more from now on. However of course this old software now really.
    • [h=3]Set Up a Distribution List in Outlook[/h]To set up a mailing list in Outlook:

• Select File | New | Distribution List from the menu.
      • Alternatively, hit Ctrl-Shift-L (think list).
    • Type the desired name under Name:.
      • The list name is what you will use to address messages to the list.
    • Now, you can add new members immediately using the Add New... and Select Members...buttons.
    • Click Save and Close.
    I have tried the above but there are no contacts shown, and if i search a name or just add in 'A' hoping for a prompt...nothing. I know the addresses/contacts are saved somewhere as the prompt boxes work fine when i open a standard new email box up. but when i look for those contacts i cannot find them.
  4. (by the way: the contacts are already/only in Outlook 2003. I just cannot see them anywhere on that system as a proper list.)
  5. FrosteeMARIA

Have you got the individual contacts into the outlook address book yet? That's the first were you given the email addresses in the first place?
    I assume there will be too many to add to outlook contacts individually.
    To find out where they are located, search for *.wab (start menu/find, or open an explorer window and search from there)
    This will show you the location of the windows address book - you can then import that to outlook.
  6. FrosteeMARIA

Aha - just saw other message. Does seem odd that you can't create a distribution list if the contacts are in outlook already....
    I'm on a pc that doesn't have outlook installed, so I'll go fire up the laptop for a closer look.

There aren't many differences in outlook 2010 than 2003 so it's not such old software!
  7. sorry for putting u to hassle but its appreciated.
    the addresses have been inputted from business cards / stored from emails sent to the system. so no real effort made to set up any lists or contacts database.
    but as i say there are hundreds in there.

2010/2003 maybe...although i did see on some google searches that on 2003 version things which should appear dont appear straight away. so the guides say things like 'your global contacts list should appear. though maybe not at first attempt.'
    or something similar.
  8. FrosteeMARIA

OK, just tried to create a distribution list, completely from scratch as I had no contacts listed (made up a few fake ones) the same thing happened. I wonder if it's something to do with Microsoft Exchange? I will have a closer look - but it's not something you are doing wrong at least!
  9. frustrating isn't it? i am trying to follow the instructions given on google searches and microsoft websites. no joy. thanks again for your effort!
  10. FrosteeMARIA

No hassle at all. Fookin Microsucks! Check that the email addresses have been entered into the contact card....I have found that if the email address is not showing in the contact or is corrupted, the selection won't appear in the choices for adding to distr list.

It sounds like the contacts haven't imported properly.
  11. yeah miscrosucks! although am glad it works when it does. (i find it v odd they named the two systems the same name 'outlook' when the hotmail one is so v different. probably be same in future though. currently is odd.)

i guess the only thing to do is go thru them as drop down boxes give them alphabetically and just copy and paste them as i go.
    make a list that way.
  12. Windows Address Book, .wab files, aren't Outlook.
  13. FrosteeMARIA

Yes, that's why I said you can then import the wab into outlook. :)
    (If that's where they had been stored previously)
  14. Make sure when you export you choose the profile name, not "Inbox" - the default. I can't post the image I did