Help please in identifying an inert/training round - possibly WW2 era

Trilby

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
20191105_191552.jpg

I'd very much appreciate any information about these pieces. I have always taken it that they were drill rounds. They have no markings of any kind that I could see and I rather lazily assumed that they were for the 40mm Bofors. However I notice that they are not 'necked' in any way unlike other Bofors rounds, which has led me to wonder. They are just over 400mm tall, about 55mm across the base and appear to be solid brass with a steel base. It has been suggested that they are from a 2pdr Anti-Tank gun and looking at other examples of live ammunition for that gun there is definitely a resemblance, but I can't find a comparable example to these as a drill round, as the others seem to be wooden with brass nose and base.
20191105_191614.jpg
Many thanks in advance.

Random assortment of screwdrivers in makeshift holder -CHECK
Jar of turps with 2 rock solid varnish brushes stuck in - CHECK
Powertool that's not felt volts or amperes through it in God knows how long-CHECK
Unidentified power cable breaking loose from its cable clip-CHECK
Jar of unidentified liquid-CHECK
Trowels and random tools rammed down the back of makeshift wooden sharp pointy nail display board-CHECK

I do believe that fulfills all the requirements of a proper bloke's shed!

I presume the paintbrush stuck on a paint lid is just out of shot??

Trilby

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
Powertool that's not felt volts or amperes through it in God knows how long-CHECK
Trowels and random tools rammed down the back of makeshift wooden sharp pointy nail display board-CHECK

I do believe that fulfills all the requirements of a proper bloke's shed!

I presume the paintbrush stuck on a paint lid is just out of shot??
I could go back and check, it's actually my father's...

NSP

LE
It's Josef Fritzl's cellar...?

tiv

War Hero
2nd from left:

Which Tony Williams states is a 6-pdr AA
Thing is IIRC 6pr is 57mm calibre and those rounds are 37mm ish: This shows a section of the rule rotated 90 degrees and pasted across a round. Not precise but certainly not 57mm.

2pr.jpg

2pr ATk.jpg

From the link I posted above 5th from left which Tony Williams says is 2 PR No.2 tank/anti-tank AP Mk 1 (40x304R)

Last edited:

Trilby

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
Thanks all - the rounds aren't with me at the moment but I've asked for the measurement to post. I do have the base measurement, though, which is just on 55mm, so I think 6pdr is out.

Latest Threads