HELP - parents involved in recruiting

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by TheWiseMushroom, Mar 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm wanting to join the armed forces and im old enough to join. i have been to many interviews but my parents dont wish me to got into the forces.

i have tries to argue my point across but they wont listen. im joining up anyway :desertsoldier: but i would be a real comfort to know that my parents understand why im doing it and that im not abandoning them.

anyone got any advise? or is there a way for a home meeting with a recruitment officer? or has anyone got a fullproof argument against the war of 'oil' as they say :?

cheers guys and gals - your a great help

Happy Shootings
    The Wise Mushroom :desertsoldier:

2. What is it your parents are against exactly? And what do they want you to do (remember, it is YOUR life)?

3. I'm with your parents on this one.

4. they just think its a waste of time - they believe i will die really soon if i join. :? (which is really not going to happen)

im joining and nothin is going to stop it - i just want them to understand im going to be ok and im not going to die.

they want me to do a dentistry course - but theres no way im doing it - they try to plan my life out. :x

Happy Shootings
    The Wise Mushroom :desertsoldier:

5. By the end of the day if your under 18 and your parents dont want you to join, then you can't as they will have to sign your initial aoolication form for you to proceed and then later on your consent form to enlist. However if your over 18 then they cannot stop you. The best thing you can do is get them to either speak to a Recruiter online with their concerns or go into the ACIO and speak to your Recruiter who will be more than willing answer any concerns and give them the reality of what the Army is about as most are also parents aswell and quite a few can speak as a Recruiter and Parent.

6. Once you've joined the Army you'll soon realise that your parents are civvies, and you'll not want to speak to them anyway.

7. Top advice :clap:

8. That made my day, thankyou.

9. wtf has afghan got to do with oil? Some people can be so unbelievably opinionated about a subject they clearly have no idea on. you should have some good reasons for joining up (it's a career more than it is a job after all), just explain it to them the way you see it, and if they shoot you down well fcuk it, your joining not them

10. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

My Mum was like this when I told her I was joining up at 16.

Once I explained to her that it was either that or I was going to become a drug dealer, she quickly changed her tune.

It might have also had something to do with the fact that her and the Chief at the careers office became good friends, they even used to go out for meals together and sometimes he would even stay the night to put her at ease about me joining.

......wait.....oh shit.

11. Or you can still join and do this job!

Stilts

12. Hi...hope you don't mind me joining but I am a parent and a civvie with a son who is joining up so thought I'd throw my comments into the mix.

Many parents question my sanity at supporting my son in his choice of career especially as there is active fighting going on in Afghanistan but my feelings are that as it his life and he has to be doing a job he enjoys then the choice has to be his.

I don't want him to be a drug dealer, an alcoholic or one of the long term unemployed drifting through life. I also know that statistically he is more likely to die either as the result of an RTA however as the death of a serviceman or woman on active service is broadcast nationally we hear of every death. We only hear of local deaths through drugs and road accidents so don't realise the true extent in numbers nationally.

There is no easy way to get them to change their mind but if I could give them one piece of advice it would be to support you in this decision, let you go through the process as in some ways they are putting the cart before the horse - if you haven't passed ADSC yet - you might not get in!

I wish you luck with your application and hope that they can let you live the life you want and not the one they want for you. The worst thing a parent can do is try to fulfil their lost opportunities through their children.

Annie....mum of an A grade recruit just waiting on his date for Catterick :D

13. I applaud you Annie. Some very true words spoken and sound advice :D

14. If your Parents wont go into the ACIO with you (Which is Honestly the best option - tell them you want them to do that, because you'd feel better having their support with your chosen career), get them to pop onto here and read through the Parents thread in the stickys. I read through that in its entirety before telling my family my plans initially.

My point about having their support really is important, whilst at P1 you are expected & encouraged to ring home. Imagine what it will be like if you ring home feeling homesick or worried because its tough, and all they have to say is "Great - come home!".

EDIT - Sorry, thought id add - whilst their support is important and would really help you. Its not vital. If they dont like it, then...tough! Its your choice. You want to do it, so do it. Things might change closer the time. So just try to bring them on side, but if that prooves impossible - youve done your bit. Get some training under your belt. Then head off into the sunset - all gravy!

15. Wise Mushroom,

I really hope your parents will change their minds and support you in your decision.

My own son is currently in Phase 2 training and I'm sure I'm no different to any other mother, who worries themselves silly when their son announces they're joining the Army. However, I went with him to his first appointment at the Army Careers Office and I'm very glad I did. The recruiters seemed pleased that there was parental support and were happy to answer numerous questions from me.

As someone else commented, family support during P1 training is very important. It's a tough 42 weeks (mine was at AFC(H)) and a time for change for JS and parents, and mine has told me that our support was crucial on getting him through some of those bad moments. I have never been so proud in all my life watching him march out on to the Passing Out parade!!!

Yes, I worry - but it comes with the job description (Mum) but I would worry about him even more if he was whizzing around late at night on a moped as a pizza delivery lad!!!!

Please ask your parents to go and talk to a Recruiting Officer and keep an open mind.

I wish you good luck and if they want to talk to another Mum, ask them to send me a pm and I'll happily respond to them.

Rose :rose:

PS, Dweller, I'm impressed that you read all the way through the Parents thread. That thread at times kept me sane!!!! lol