Help on weight loss

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by cakenarse, Feb 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am 40 and 211 lbs i run 4-5 times a week 4 miles each time on a tread mill as in afghan at the moment, my diet is ok in that i dont eat that much junk, mind you in Kandahar its difficult to eat a healthy balanced diet, however running for 7 weeks and only lost 2 lbs, im not fat just carrying an extra 2 inches around the waste since i finished my career last oct. When running i do the 4 miles in 30 mins and has me blowing by the end but my recovery is much better so am getting fitter but no weight loss, im ready for the funny comebacks but am after some advice on how to make my workouts fat burning.
  2. Have you tried mixing up your routine a bit? Rather than just sticking to a 4 miler, start introducing some sprints or some shorter, faster runs into your weekly routine. Something to keep your body guessing!
  3. From my personal experience (and I'm not sure on your facilities), I would start doing some sprint work once/twice a week and do some weight lifting to raise your resting metabolism.

A lot of fat reduction comes from diet though, just be aware of that.

I'm not and have not been in the forces up to this date though, so I'm not knowledgable as to what your other activities might be whiile out there (in afghan, finish career in October, you might be on your feet all day or behind a desk).
  4. stay away from the boardwalk. :D :D :D :D
  5. Crash dieting and laxative abuse! It's the way forward! Failing that lyposuction with an old bicycle pump. But I suppose the Health and Safety fascists will say I'm wrong :roll:
  6. four miles is to short for a fat burning run. If you have the time, try to run further and mix the pace (say 5 mins fastish pace followed by 5mins slow jog). If you work harder than about 60% then your going out of the fat burning zone. The common rule for fat burn i believe is - go slower but further as opposed to thrashing yourself on a quick sharp run. If your at KAF then the perimeter run around the airfield is a good distance to get started to burn some chub of your waistline. Running with some weight in a daysack seems to speed up the process aswell.
  7. I found running and cycling just made me a fat man with great legs.
    I got a job for 12 months that was very physical, lots of stairs and lots off weight carrying.
    I went from 18 1/2 stone to under 16 in 12 months and I did not alter my diet.
    Do some ammo bashing and the likes and push yourself harder and harder it is a lot cheaper and more manly than a gym membership.
  8. Bowmore_Assassin

Bowmore_Assassin LE Moderator Book Reviewer

On my last tour I followed te daily workout on for the last 4 months.

It kicks your arrse everyday but it works. In 4 months I lost 20lbs and 3 inches from my waist, improved stamina, strength and speed. Take it wasy to start with and work into it.

Good luck.
  9. failing that, get yourself down to one of the FOBS/Plt Houses and eat nothing but dust for a few months, works wonders for most of the blokes! I would recommend trying to catch the squits aswell, you'll be skinnier than posh spice within a matter of days
  10. The simple thing that most people fail to appreciate is that food makes you fat. If you input more calories than you expend, you will put on weight. If you expend more calories than you input, you will lose weight. Beware of weight training to burn fat as muscle weighs more than fat, you will tone up but weight will increase.

Eat sensibly and only as much/often as you need and exercise regularly and your body will find its own weight.
  11. You are eating too much. End of. Put less food in your mouth.

No snacks, no junk, no seconds. Wake up an hour earlier than usual and go to bed an hour later. Burn more calories and get more s*it done in the day. Press ups before you feed, pressups when you get up, watch less tv and when you do knock out the pressups in the break.

If you calorie counted your food, and stopped lying to yourself about 'how few' snacks you eat you would surprise yourself.
  12. Here's some advice I was given years ago, Try eating a bowl of porrige each morning, it's a slow release carbohydrate, bowl of soup and a healthy sandwich for lunch, and chicken and lots of veggies for a main meal, nothing after 6pm except maybe water, you will lose weight or put simpler, Eat like a king at breakfast, a prince at lunch, and a pauper at night, it does work. and probably quicker with all that excercise too. :D
  13. Hi Cakenarse,

Sound to me like your general fitness is pretty good and its time to step your training up a level. Although sticking within say 50-60% of your heart rate is an effective method for losing weight you will find that periods of higher intensity will kick start your bodies fat burning process...but word of caution...higher intensity training should only be performed once the person has a good base level of fitness.

Interval training is very effective and is a form of training i used when playing rugby league as not only did it help with my fat loss it was excellent for improving my recovery and general fitness. Make sure you keep all sessions over 30 minutes...but less than 1 hour!

Give this a try: (only basic)

Jog - 4 minutes
    Sprint (75-90% effort) - 10 seconds
    Jog - 4 minutes
    Sprint (75-90% effort) - 10 seconds

Rest - 3-4 minutes

Then repeat 3-6 times depending on fitness levels

Longer recoveries allow you to truly sprint "full out" for each of your fast intervals. Doing this can let you train at the higher intensity for a longer total period of time (when compared to trying to go hard straight through or with minimum recovery). You'll spend more actual time training at the high intensity.

And remember, it's the intensity that's most important here, not the volume. Going 100% effort with relatively long recovery periods between sprints will bring you maximum results. Unfortunately, I think people are too caught up in the "more is better" volume belief. They are either too conditioned into a mileage mentality or just think that sprinting for only a few seconds (and recovering) can't possibly do you any good.

I hope this helps.

(Diet is very important when it comes to fat loss but unless we know what you are consuming and what foods you have available it would be difficult to give you advice that you can easily incorporate into your training plan)
  14. [​IMG]

Get on one of these.

Do 10k 4 or 5 days a week and don't eat stickies.

Fcuking brilliant machines. I got one in 2002 once I had to pack in the running (knee) and i've never looked back. I do quite a bit of distance on it (half marathon tonight) but you can do it for as little or as long as you want. I reckon only swimming is better for a full body workout and you burn calories like nobody's business (1350 tonight).

Always worth a try if you get bored of running
  15. in the latest Mens Fitness mag it has a great 6 station circuit;

between each station perform 5 burpees
    when complete rest for 2 mins.
    do circuit at LEAST 2times

1. rotating crunch 8reps each side
    2. jumping box squat 8 reps
    3.diamond pressup 10 reps
    4. low side lunge 10 each side
    5.dorsal raise 12 reps
    6.inverted press 10 reps