Help on TA changes

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by polar, Apr 27, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. = Territorial Army Lineages, 1967-2000
  2. Polar, what exactly do you mean by disbandments? F, & G Coys (RGJ) of the London Reg are still there.
  3. cheers corrected title.

Its as the guy mentioned, he wants to know the Origins of these units and subsequent lineage (i.e. your pre jackets title - I think)
  4. 4 RGJ can trace their history back as follows:

A Coy - Ox & Bucks LI (Oxford)
    B Coy - Queens Westminsters (Kings Royal Rifle Corps) (Fulham)
    C Coy - London Rifle Brigade (Rifle Brigade) (City of London)
    D Coy - The Bucks Bn (Ox & Bucks LI) (Aylesbury)
    E Coy - Ox & Bucks LI (Milton Keynes)
    F Coy - Tower Hamlets Rifles (Rifle Brigade) (Mile End)
    G Coy - The Rangers (Kings Royal Rifle Corps) (West Ham)
    HQ Coy - Queen Victorias Rifles (Kings Royal Rifle Corps) (Westminster)

As far as I can see all of the above are mentioned on the website you listed. makes you think though - the TA was bigger than the regs for such a large period of Army history. Most of the above Regiments had two Bn's. 3 THR became 5 Recce. Two of the Bn's were lost in rearguard actions to save the troops at Dunkirk (QVR at Calais, Bucks Bn at Hazebrouk). The QW were the most advanced troops when the war in Europe ended, The Rangers held off a German SS Panzer division in Greece to allow the ANZACS to withdraw - I could go on.

They weren't called stabs or walts - just Terriers. They didn't pretend to be Regulars, but when the time came they fought like Terriers and the Country was grateful. The Regular Bn's gladly accepted the battle honours and VC's as their own. How quickly they forget who saved the day, in their tens of thousands - every man a Volunteer. The Regs didn't support us when our Bn's were lost or merged, but we support them when they come calling, no matter the cause or the personal cost.

I've been both a reg and a TA soldier. And proud of it!
  5. I know, I've read a few books on the my local TA Infantry Div then ended up visiting some of their battlesites (missus has now banned me from any place in France with Tanks).
    Rauray was (one of?) the biggest tank battles in Western Europe fought between two territorial Divs and the SS.
    Also trick Arnhem bridge question - who captured it ? a territorial Bn from Sheffield, part of the 'polar' div.
  6. Terriers held the line at Dunkirk (along with the Guards)
    Fact is, before WW2 the standing Army was tiny (when compared with the TA) and was mainly policing the Empire.
  7. The 2nd line duplicate of the 49 'polar' West Riding div (they then had the Yorkshire rose as Div badge) was one of these (46 North Midland Div), they'd only been formed the year before and was full of the recruits who'd answered the call.

Many accounts at Dunkirk normally have critical remarks about the TA divs during this period but I believe they are aimed at the newly formed units. Have even seen some critcise the TA and then in the next sentence highly praise it (more accuratley praise a unit not realising it was TA).
    Although I haven't researched it fully I have a suspicion that some 2nd line territorial units were sacrificed during the final days

Again on the territorial bashing, Field Marshall Lord Alanbroke moans about territorials in his war diaries but this is solely aimed at CO's of the units, nothing bad is said about the troops.
  8. I thought that the first unit to reach the Bridge at Arnhem was Johnnie Gough's Airborne Recce Sqn. The Film "A Bridge Too Far" got it wrong when they said that all the jeeps got shot up in an ambush. In fact the signal was true, but it was later confirmed as incorrect.
  9. Its a trick statement, its refering to the actual liberation of Arnhem in 1945 - not Market Garden.
  10. And so a lightbulb went on :idea: in Dr E's mind. When Dr E's grandfather found out about his having joined the TA, he told him he was proud to have a Terrier in the family. You've made me realise, long after the event, the scale of the compliment he intended to confer by association. I owe you both a pint.
  11. Dr Evil - beer vouchers gladly accepted! :p
  12. Probably find most many of our relations served with a terrier regiment during WW2.
    I'm trying to find out which Green Howards Bn my wives grandfather served with, pretty certain its one of the terrier ones that served with the 50 Tyne Tees Div.
    Planning to visit where
    W O II Stanley E Hollis, VC earned his VC and follow the route the terrier GH took inland next month (with Father-in-Law & missus).