Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help on food allowance

feygan

Swinger
Due to recently getting back a JPA audit and being told I was not allowed the claim of just under £7 for food I have decided to.
1. Ensure I know exactly what I can/cannot claim.
2. Shaft the system royally for throwing the first punch.

I was informed some time last year that as a reserve soldier if we do a full day duty or more then we are able to claim through JPA for food. Originally the information given to me was that every full days duty I do where food is not being provided (either for free or by way of PAYD or such things like rat packs) then we were allowed to make a daily claim of up to £25 for food. I was given the basic speech on how that is not to be used for breaking out the beers and how you need to keep receipts.

Last month while on a day duty where I knew there was no food being provided I figured I would be a good little sensible soldier and nip to get my food sorted. Again being a nice well behaved person not wanting to take any more of her maj's cash than is required, I stopped of at asda and grabbed fruit, nuts, bread, salad things etc etc so I could happily make myself food for the entire day at a fraction of the maximum allowed amount.

A couple of days ago I get the audit form handed back to me with a message in the comment box informing me my £6.56 will be taken back off me as I was not allowed to claim for it. I was informed that food allowance only covers things classed as "prepared food" so that was a nice little shafting to begin with, but I am wondering if also the fact that I bought my food just prior to arriving in camp and signing on duty will have been looked at too.

Either way I am less than amused that I apparently cannot have free will to eat a healthy diet when on duty because of daft policy.

So after all this essay writing I just want to check something to keep myself in the right side of things for future reference.

1. As a reserve soldier am I allowed the full £25 per day food allowance for any day that I am being paid for a full days duty?

2. Does this only apply to a full days duty for the full £25 or is there any providing for a reduced amount for a 1/2, 3/4 day duty?

3. Since I am stuck with this stupid "prepared food" stipulation, does something like fruit get including in this, for example if I were to by a subway sandwich then hit test and by a bunch of bananas too could I claim for both items or just the sandwich?

4. If I am informed prior to a duty day that there will be no food provided, can I purchase food in advance for that day in situations where I would not be able to get out and buy food. For example working a full Sunday where the shops are closed at that time in the morning and my only option then being to wait until finishing the day duty that evening and getting food?

Q_Man

Old-Salt
It will depend on the interpretation of the JSP by your admin staff. I am a regular and an officer I know bought a sandwich in the morning to eat at lunchtime whilst travelling but was denied his claim as it was classed as breakfast having been bought then.

And yes, the RAOWO in question is a Member of the British Empire.

muso2015

Swinger
Due to recently getting back a JPA audit and being told I was not allowed the claim of just under £7 for food I have decided to.
1. Ensure I know exactly what I can/cannot claim.
2. Shaft the system royally for throwing the first punch.

I was informed some time last year that as a reserve soldier if we do a full day duty or more then we are able to claim through JPA for food. Originally the information given to me was that every full days duty I do where food is not being provided (either for free or by way of PAYD or such things like rat packs) then we were allowed to make a daily claim of up to £25 for food. I was given the basic speech on how that is not to be used for breaking out the beers and how you need to keep receipts.

Last month while on a day duty where I knew there was no food being provided I figured I would be a good little sensible soldier and nip to get my food sorted. Again being a nice well behaved person not wanting to take any more of her maj's cash than is required, I stopped of at asda and grabbed fruit, nuts, bread, salad things etc etc so I could happily make myself food for the entire day at a fraction of the maximum allowed amount.

A couple of days ago I get the audit form handed back to me with a message in the comment box informing me my £6.56 will be taken back off me as I was not allowed to claim for it. I was informed that food allowance only covers things classed as "prepared food" so that was a nice little shafting to begin with, but I am wondering if also the fact that I bought my food just prior to arriving in camp and signing on duty will have been looked at too.

Either way I am less than amused that I apparently cannot have free will to eat a healthy diet when on duty because of daft policy.

So after all this essay writing I just want to check something to keep myself in the right side of things for future reference.

1. As a reserve soldier am I allowed the full £25 per day food allowance for any day that I am being paid for a full days duty?

2. Does this only apply to a full days duty for the full £25 or is there any providing for a reduced amount for a 1/2, 3/4 day duty?

3. Since I am stuck with this stupid "prepared food" stipulation, does something like fruit get including in this, for example if I were to by a subway sandwich then hit test and by a bunch of bananas too could I claim for both items or just the sandwich?

4. If I am informed prior to a duty day that there will be no food provided, can I purchase food in advance for that day in situations where I would not be able to get out and buy food. For example working a full Sunday where the shops are closed at that time in the morning and my only option then being to wait until finishing the day duty that evening and getting food?

I have exactly the same problem. Also a reservist, and due to my job role (musician) often find myself travelling up and down the country with no access to food at the location we are playing - are we supposed to buy earlier in the day (and risk claiming and have it rejected which has happened to several people) or go without? We are told we can claim, but the majority of the band don't have access to JPA so can't! This leaves us out of pocket substantially, and I know it is a problem affecting many friends in other units as well. We've all said that next time we're on a full day's gig we're going to go out for a quality steak and milk it for what it's worth...

Excellent! The RAO still thinks it's HIS money and HIS leave and HIS petrol. Hopefully, the RQ still thinks they are HIS boots and the QM thinks it's HIS bog roll.
Don't want you getting away with anything I didn't.

Bris

LE
I have exactly the same problem. Also a reservist, and due to my job role (musician) often find myself travelling up and down the country with no access to food at the location we are playing - are we supposed to buy earlier in the day (and risk claiming and have it rejected which has happened to several people) or go without? We are told we can claim, but the majority of the band don't have access to JPA so can't! This leaves us out of pocket substantially, and I know it is a problem affecting many friends in other units as well. We've all said that next time we're on a full day's gig we're going to go out for a quality steak and milk it for what it's worth...
If you can have the steak, do! An entire band having a massive meal probably still come to less than a nut & bolt on a eurofighter.

Read the JSP on allowances, and know exactly what you can claim. I did, and never once had a claim refused in 10 years.

Last edited:

muso2015

Swinger
If you can have the steak, do! An entire band having a massive meal probably still come to less than a nut & bolt on a eurofighter.

Read the JSP on allowances, and know exactly what you can claim. I did, and never once had a claim refused in 10 years.
Well this is true, small things eh. We have read the JSP - I guess we will just have to put up with the situation we are in, and claim for the occasions that they deem us able to. (still seems a crazy system though if I leave the house at 0600 for an all day event, buy lunch on the way to said event at breakfast time they will not pay my lunch money).

Latest Threads