Help on Digital Camera

Trying to buy Mrs Black a compact digitial, the type she can stuff in her bag.

Anybody recommend a good make and model, must be pink

Get her a new mobile phone and kill two birds with one stone

The pink thing is a limiting factor. If you're serious, check out this site for advice, http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm
Despite being American, he's independent and the site is full of very useful photography tips and recommendations for a range of budgets. As a rule, Canon have the edge on compacts and they even make a pink one. Some of the model numbers are different in the UK but I think most that he quotes are sold here.
Good luck

tropper66 said:
Don't listen to that advice. It's gash. A phone is handy on the lash, and convenient, but the quality isn't the same as a proper digital camera.

The focus/zoom/anti-shake etc is far superior on a camera.

We recently (about 6 months ago) bought a new Casio Exilim(? spelling). It is excellent, has good battery life and uses common PC applications for downloading, viewing and memory management.

Good piece of kit.

smudge67 said:
tropper66 said:
Don't listen to that advice. It's gash. A phone is handy on the lash, and convenient, but the quality isn't the same as a proper digital camera.

The focus/zoom/anti-shake etc is far superior on a camera.
You haven't used one of the new Nokias or Blackberrys , Fuji are doing a cashback on their Finepix cameras at the moment check out the Website

Always been a fan of Canon myself. Film or digital compacts or SLR/DSLR's. They do a 10MP compact in pink called the IXUS 95 for £155.00 at warehouseexpress.com. See it here: Canon IXUS 95 IS

By the way, warehouseexpress.com are good to deal with, never had a problem with any of my transactions with them.

Alternatively I have also used RGB Tech who are also very good. They do a Fuji FinePix 12MP camera in pink for only £79.00. Take a look: Fuji FinePix J30

Regards,

Q.

I recently bought the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZX1 which does everything I want from a camera.
It is compact enough to slip into a jeans pocket, yet is large enough to enable a knuckle dragger like me to operate the nobs and buttons easily, it has a wide angle lens, x8 zoom, 12 mega pixies, and all the usual trickery you'd expect from a digicam these days, such as red-eye correction, image stabilisation, face recognition etc. It also gets a lot of good reviews for its picture quality.
http://www.cameras.co.uk/reviews/panasonic-dmc-zx1.cfm

For a longer zoom (x12) there's the Panasonic TZ7.

Canon do a smart compact that's had a lot of good reviews (Ixus 200), but which is a bit too small and fiddly for my sausage fingers. I do think though, that Canon are a wee bit expensive in comparison to their competitors when put up against similar or superior spec cameras.
http://www.cameras.co.uk/reviews/canon-ixus-200-is.cfm

I have a Canon 90IS. The controls are a little strange and it feels completely different to the earlier Ixus 65 but the quality of the photographs is stunning.

Whatever you buy, I recommend purchasing a good quality leather case as part of the package.

Litotes

I'd suggest a Kodak 'Brownie'. Very simple controls.

Seriously tho' any of the Canon iXus range, I've owned one for a couple of years now. In September, I bought the wife a new Nikon Coolpix S620 - at her request - it is absolutely superb. Highly recommended.

Mobile phones are never going to compete with a dedicated camera, it's all to do with size, despite what Phone makers tell you, your never going to get close to a camera quality with a camera phone with a pish poor lens and a tiny sensor, of course they may well come close to a cheapo Korean camera.

Ken Rockwell, interesting bloke, depending on your view point he's talks sense or he talks bolloxs, most photographers probably lean toward the latter :)

As most seem to agree, Canon takes some beating in the compact range, and there's me a Sony owner :roll:

Replaced my old Hp with a Canon Ixus 95IS a couple of months ago and can't fault it so far.

Normal photo quality is great, even very low light (for those xmas tree shots) is acceptable, and it's got easy enough controls along with a few more advanced features that don't get in the way when you don't want them.

It's only a 3x optical zoom but there are plenty of pixels available for digital zoom without losing detail unless you want silly size prints. Battery life (Li-Ion rechargeable) is excellent and it actually feels like it's properly made. It's also about the only one out there at the moment with a viewfinder, which can be surprisingly useful at times.

One thing to be aware of is it doesn't have any on-board memory so she'd need an SD card to go with it. 4Gb card holds about 1300 photos at maximum quality.

Cost about £170 when I got mine but seems to be around £125 now. Also available in pink.

Purchased from the Ixus range for a while now, simple, small and with good battery life considering the large screen.

It also has a surprising level of functions for a compact if you do want to fiddle with the functions for the perfect night shots etc.

A

armadillo

Canon G9/G10/G11 one of the best compacts out there G11 is expensive G10 was last years model and the G9 is going even cheaper.

Most reviews I have seen for any of the older Ixus range have been very poor, however as a user I have never found them wanting.

TBH though I think all brands in a similar price range are much the same, so do not despair.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Auld-Yin Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets 19
PartTimePongo The Intelligence Cell 3
A The Intelligence Cell 6