Help, new lance jack

Basically, I used to be a little shit in cadets but then sometime I pulled my socks up and soon became a lance, however, people don't take my little authority seriously and I get the feeling that it's something to do with a previous CDT. Me
Can someone give me a hand on how to get people to start taking me seriously, how to give someone or a group a command because believe me, I'm regretting my previous time as a CDT. Rank.
Thanks

ACAB

LE
Basically, I used to be a little shit in cadets but then sometime I pulled my socks up and soon became a lance, however, people don't take my little authority seriously and I get the feeling that it's something to do with a previous CDT. Me
Can someone give me a hand on how to get people to start taking me seriously, how to give someone or a group a command because believe me, I'm regretting my previous time as a CDT. Rank.
Thanks
Three words.

Lead by Example.

Whereas in the past you were a little shit you now have to rise above that. Treat all Cadets equally, including those that are your mates. Always be on time, always be well turned out and the worst offence of all, do not form little cliques with your buddies. What you are going through is exactly the same as in a Regular Battalion. Everyone else is thinking "Who promoted that little arse? Remember when he .......etc, etc"

You have to work twice as hard now to prove them wrong.

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
Thanks
Three words.

Lead by Example.

Whereas in the past you were a little shit you now have to rise above that. Treat all Cadets equally, including those that are your mates. Always be on time, always be well turned out and the worst offence of all, do not form little cliques with your buddies. What you are going through is exactly the same as in a Regular Battalion. Everyone else is thinking "Who promoted that little arse? Remember when he .......etc, etc"

You have to work twice as hard now to prove them wrong.

I hate to say it, but @ACAB is right. You can't make someone respect you, you have to earn that respect. Show how you have turned around and earned the rank. One I'll add to ACAB's list is - don't be a brown-nose. No-one above, below or equal your rank will respect that. And a brown-nose is soon shot down by the people you suck up to.

Tuning up....@ACAB is right though.

Frioday Bears.jpg

If it gets really bad, tell the cadet to go to the DCs office or the duty room or whatever and make them explain to the adult (prefferably a feared one) why they ot sent to them. Works a treat. Only use it on the cheekiest one or the ringleader. Also @ACAB is spot on, how are they meant to respect you if you dont respect yourself and others.

Everything that has been said previously.
You EARN respect, it's not a god given right.

When I got my first tape up in the TA ,there were lots of disgruntled people who were jealous of the fact I'd been promoted over them. Just dig deep and work through it. Do not surround yourself with yes men though, any little cliques will be detrimental to you on the long term and you ARE being watched by those above you to see how you behave.

However - on the plus side - you got promoted. Somebody must be convinced that:
a. You have earned it and;
b. You have the potential to carry it off.

Don't disappoint them or yourself.

You owe @ACAB a beer :)

Thanks

Had the same problem when I was a lance jack, now a Lance Sergeant holding the senior of my unit. First few months of being promoted people will always ignore the fact you have rank.
What you do now is:
Show some balls - If they don't listen the first time, raise your voice then go back to normal. It makes them go 'oh aye he's got some balls him.'
Lead by example - There's a famous saying 'Do as I say, Not as I do.' This is utter rubbish. If cadets see you cutting about, well turned out & punctual they will follow you and respect you. Show a positive attitude and they will respect you for that. Its as we were taught on SCIC 'Monkey see Monkey Do.'
Get them to look up to you - Do courses, activities which make them look up and aspire to be you. I have recruits who look up to me as I am now senior, I have represented the ACF in South Africa, Northern Ireland and in multiple county events. Help them when you can as this creates that positive attitude about you.

But most importantly:
You can't please everyone - I know plenty of people in my unit who do not like my but that's as I don't rip into people or pick on people, I stand back and respect all. Just don't let it get you down as they will pounce on that.

Good luck!

P.O.N.T.I

War Hero
Crikey.........is it still May, well done young fellow me lad :clap:

Latest Threads