Help Needed

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by filmmaker, Jan 14, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I’m a University Film Student; a friend who uses this site quite regularly recommended I post on here.

I am also a TA Private but by no means am I an old sweat.

I have decided to focus my final project film on National Service and I would like to hear from anyone who has had any experience from that era.

I think I have the actual national service stories covered with hopefully the help of my local British Legion, my question is did any of you guys join the army because your fathers had been in for national service.

For along time it was a way of life and something that needed to be done, then it stopped and the next generation didn’t have to do it. Were you pressurised or persuaded to go in even though you didn’t legally have to?

I would like to hear from anyone with any stories or information that you think might be useful to me.

2. well i can tell u a few stories about national sevice but not from briten. last year i had to do my sevice in germany since i'm half german. there was no way round it the damed fools wouldent listen to the fact that im living in briten.

however that aseid the time i spent there was not all that bad. affter the first three monthes of basic it was all booz and not much els to do. you got to hand it to the bundeswher if you ever whanted to invad germany just march in with a batalion at 9:30 am or on the weekend since no one is in the camps at this two times.

not much help to the topic but hay now you know what its like over there.
  3. Couldn't someone have revealed that in 1939?
  4. i think back then it was not the same as it is today. you could also atempt it at 6 am since most of the national sevrice soldires are normaly still to drunk to funktion at this time.
  5. There's a book called Brasso, Blanco & Bull by a guy called Tony Thorne, might be useful for background and a laugh or two.