Help needed

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Cpt_Darling, Nov 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My grandfather recently passed away, and as a present to my father im looking to mount his war medals.However they are incomplete, and I dont have his service No. to find out to what he was entitled to.

So can I find his service No. and, subsequently, what medals he is entitled to?If so how?

2. Difficult one this. Was he a member of the British Legion? If so, I'm sure you'll be able to get hold of his number from them.

Do you know which regiment he was in?

3. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Medal office:
    Medal Office link

They will need as much information as possible so apply for his Navy record:

Navy records

Edit to change link

4. He was RN, I have some ships he served in but nothing complete.

5. I shouldn't expect too much from Navy records, I wrote to them for more details about my mothers' first husband, who was killed on convoy duty. After a long wait (and parting with 20 quid for the privilege), I got a standard reply basically saying that these were exceptional times and how hard it was to keep accurate records (and blah blah) and giving me no more information than I had already.

6. you say the mdal collection is not complete, have a look around the rim of the medals you have, they may be engraved with his name rank number and unit. not all were engraved but it's worth a look.
    The more info you can provide the better the chances are of getting hat he was entitled to