Help Needed

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by crimefighting, Jul 26, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been filling in my online application - my first choices for trade are for Chef and Vehicle Mechanic (previous experience in the catering industry, none as a mechanic).

I have been looking at the local units near to me, 243 Field Hopsital, 6 Rifles and Royal Mon RE - what would be the best unit for a support trade and which trade? 243 is the closest unit to me and is my home town so that initially was my first choice, but I haven't been able to get through to have a chat to hopefully arrange a visit!

Sensible answers only please!
  2. If you want to be a vehicle mechanic, look for your closest REME unit, you'll be stationed there, but if you go as a chef you'll have to float around all units in the area as and when they need a chef. I'm a chef for my day job but I don't want to do something I already know!

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  3. sup rec

sup rec LE Book Reviewer

Most units with vehicles will have some sort of REME detachment at the moment but these may be going to REME units. All units have chef's on their 8005 (manning establishment) so you can join a particular unit and stay there.
  4. According to my unit all REME dets are being binned off. Prob for the best, I trust the AA/RAC more than our lot.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  5. As SUP REC says most TA units can get PIDS for attached arms such as chefs and VM' could look at National TA aswell. Its all up to what time you want to commit as Regional is minimuym of 27 days and National 19 days. If your wanting to attend most weeks due to travelling I would suggest your closest TA unit is best and go in and ask if they have a PID to suit the job. At least you can attend more often, maybe not get as much trade skills as you could at say Grantham for chef but in the long run work out whats best for you. I always say Travelling for you and time you can commit is one of the first things to consider then see what your nearest units can do for you.