Help needed with insignia please

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Bad_Omen, Aug 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone shed any light on these two badges a mate has asked me to help ID?

Sorry for the crap quality but it's the best she could do.

2. That looks like what I left in the gutter after last nights piss up!

You'll need better quality mate!
  3. The second one is an RAF crest (could be RCAF or RAAF). Unsure which squadron/station though.

Possibly RAF Germany. Sorry - can't post a picture but search Google "RAF crests".
  4. Hi Bad-Omen

The second crest is from Canadian Air Force - 440 Sqn.

440 Squadron - "Vampires"
    440 Squadron is the sole operator of the DHC-6 Twin Otter in the Canadian Armed Forces. We
    operate 4 Twin Otter aircraft out of our Hanger in Yellowknife, NWT. The Squadron consists of
    approximately 14 Pilots, 8 Flight Engineers, 15 Technicians, and 7 RMS/Supply personnel.
    440 Squadron also maintains a Mission Support Flight (6 personnel), with a mandate to support
    operations in the remote parts of our Area of Operation. The Mission Support Flight has also
    taken on the job of a GSAR (Ground Search and Rescue) unit, and work with communities and
    agencies around the NWT when required.

Squadron Crest
    The 440 Squadron crest shows a bat with its wings outspread with a cloud background. The bat
    was first designated to the Squadron in 1953, when we started flying the CF-100 Canuck Fighter.
    The bat represented 440 Squadron's new ability to fight under all weather conditions, day and

Can´t get the image copied in from the site I found, try copying and pasting this URL into your Browser bar -

5. Thanks for the help guys, it's much appreciated.
  6. The mate who's interested in these asked me to pass on her heartfelt thanks for the help.

I'm still trying to track down the first one, if I find anything I'll let you know.