Help needed with Grandad's service

No Boots

Clanker
Hoping someone can help with my Grandfathers service record.
He was John Webber 268027, I know he enlisted 15/7/1916 (from the BWM & WM Medal Roll) he served with the 1/6th Devonshire , which I understand to be a territoral unit - I am unable to read the
Theatres served in on the roll, it also states "Z" Res 30/3/20.
From what I have read, the 1/6th were in Mesopotania in 1915/18, so would he have joined them whilst they were abroad or perhaps served with the 1st Devonshire who were at the Somme & Passendale.
After WW1 he then enlisted on 22/11/20 in the Royal Artillery - tracer card has some details but as a civvy I cannot decipher it.
When I was younger he told me he had served at the Somme, Passchendaele, described men & horses drowning in mud, Mesopotamia & India, what I do know for sure is that he was in France during WW1 sometime as he sent his half Brother a silk hankerchief and that he was in India, with the RA as he bought my Nan back a Sweetheart cushion that my Son now has, but when I do not know yet as I am waiting for his later records to be sent.
I have found out that he was awarded a Long Service & Good Conduct Medal in 1937 and take it from his tracer card that his military career ended in 1947. I know he was still working at the Exp Est at Shoebury in 1968 (as a Slinger)
I have a letter from C.E.P.O H.Q. 54 (EA) Div/Dist. Colchester which I gather is something like Civilian Employment Pay Office.
He told me he first joined the Navy by lying about his age but didn't like it, so went AWOL and joined the Army and the Navy couldn't touch him, how true that is I don't know as I have never found any trace of this.
In all his years in the Army he never had a promotion, he always said he never wanted one as it would mean he would be responsible for his mates.
Any help would be much appreciated, as I am sure I am not the only person who regrets not listening properly when younger and now wishes they could turn back time.

No Boots

Clanker
Tracer card

Attachments

• Tracer Card.JPG
    Tracer Card.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 62
@FourZeroCharlie is the go to arrser for researching service records.
Perhaps drop him a PM.

Nothing much more to add, TBF: the OP appears to have got access to most of what's open source information about the chap.

The only thing that I would note is his RA Tracer Card:

Webber-obverse.jpg

Finished up as Time Served at Shoeburyness and released to 'Z' Class wef 21 Nov 49 (that might suggest a DoB of 1896?). The rear of the card tells us a bit more:

Webber-Reverse.jpg

'WS WOI/RSM' shows that he had been promoted to War Substantive Warrant Officer Class One and probably filled a Regimental Sergeant Major's position at war's end/immediately post-war, which kinda blows a hole in his tale of not accepting promotion!

It'll be interesting to see what his full Records tell you.

Good luck!

No Boots

Clanker
@FourZeroCharlie, you are a star.
How the **** I missed the other side of his card I can only put down to rushing a free ancestry weekend - what a plum!
You are 100% correct that has blown everything out of the water in what I knew about his service.
Any idea what the line in red means or the 650 in the last line.
I am forever grateful to you in unearthing this gem, the ole boy was so matter of fact about his army carreer "I fired big guns that made me a bit deaf"
Now for the long wait for the MOD, as soon as I get that back I will post what it contains.

It seems to read 'Posted from FoI Branch 5/9/32'. I have no idea what that means.

The final note is simply a file reference for his transfer to 'Z' Class Reserve, which had been reinstituted for recently released soldiers post WWII.

Maybe Fd branch ?

650 may be number of days ? Previous entry for ?leave? was 21.

Top of the head offerings on my part.

No Boots

Clanker
Looking again at the reverse of the tracer card it has the name/word "Bailey" in the top right, could this possibly be for someone else?

Hoping someone can help with my Grandfathers service record.
He was John Webber 268027, I know he enlisted 15/7/1916 (from the BWM & WM Medal Roll) he served with the 1/6th Devonshire , which I understand to be a territoral unit - I am unable to read the
Theatres served in on the roll, it also states "Z" Res 30/3/20.
From what I have read, the 1/6th were in Mesopotania in 1915/18, so would he have joined them whilst they were abroad or perhaps served with the 1st Devonshire who were at the Somme & Passendale.
After WW1 he then enlisted on 22/11/20 in the Royal Artillery - tracer card has some details but as a civvy I cannot decipher it.
When I was younger he told me he had served at the Somme, Passchendaele, described men & horses drowning in mud, Mesopotamia & India, what I do know for sure is that he was in France during WW1 sometime as he sent his half Brother a silk hankerchief and that he was in India, with the RA as he bought my Nan back a Sweetheart cushion that my Son now has, but when I do not know yet as I am waiting for his later records to be sent.
I have found out that he was awarded a Long Service & Good Conduct Medal in 1937 and take it from his tracer card that his military career ended in 1947. I know he was still working at the Exp Est at Shoebury in 1968 (as a Slinger)
I have a letter from C.E.P.O H.Q. 54 (EA) Div/Dist. Colchester which I gather is something like Civilian Employment Pay Office.
He told me he first joined the Navy by lying about his age but didn't like it, so went AWOL and joined the Army and the Navy couldn't touch him, how true that is I don't know as I have never found any trace of this.
In all his years in the Army he never had a promotion, he always said he never wanted one as it would mean he would be responsible for his mates.
Any help would be much appreciated, as I am sure I am not the only person who regrets not listening properly when younger and now wishes they could turn back time.
Keep us updated

Latest Threads