HELP NEEDED.......Warrant Officer Leader or Manager?

Hi,
Need some feedback on a report that I am completing for a civvy qual:

Warrant Officer - Leader or Manager (or both), also comparing a Warrant Officer Class One / Two to a LE Officer, what is the difference? Does the LEOC Cse change the WO into a manager rather than a leader - discuss

Many Thanks

Hi,

Warrant Officer - Leader or Manager (or both), also comparing a Warrant Officer Class One / Two to a LE Officer, what is the difference? Does the LEOC Cse change the WO into a manager rather than a leader - discuss

Many Thanks
If that's the best analysis you can produce then I'd start looking at alternative aualifications.

I may be a little word challenged - is aualifications a new word or did you mean to hit q?

Being sensible though, I imagine it will depend on what you are applying for and it's context. Either/or and both could easily apply.

The job you do, rather than the pay bracket you fall into, defines whether or not you are a leader, a manager, a trainer, an instructor, an enabler, a facilitator, a coordinator, et cetera, a combination of two or more of these, or none of these.

I may be a little word challenged - is aualifications a new word or did you mean to hit q?
I think you are, it isn't and I didn't. My aualifications and experience speak for themselves:

NAME DR. SHAHEEN FAIZI
FATHER’S NAME (LATE) FAIZUL HAQ KHAN
DATE OF BIRTH 14th January 1953
DOMICILE Sindh (Karachi)
NATIONALITY Pakistani
RELIGION Islam
MARITAL STATUS Single
PRESENT EMPLOYMENT Professor
(Since October 24, 2002)
H.E.J. Research Institute of Chemistry,
University of Karachi, Karachi.

ACADEMIC AUALIFICATIONS
Examination Division Year Board/University
Matric 1st 1969 Karachi Board
Inter Science 1st 1971 Karachi Board
B.Sc. 2nd 1973 Karachi University
M.Sc. 1st with distinction
82% marks
1975* Karachi University
Ph.D. 1985 Karachi University

Hi,

Many Thanks
Manager.

Leaders set strategy. Managers implement the strategy.

WOs generally implement someone else's strategy

Manager.

Leaders set strategy. Managers implement the strategy.

WOs generally implement someone else's strategy
Truly? I think you are putting borders where there are none.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Truly? I think you are putting borders where there are none.

It's a fuzzy boundary, and I did say generally. That's how it was put to us on a recent course I attended that was aimed at taking IT Project & Programme Managers onto more senior roles.

I don't think it's a bad model

I am sure management I am civil service and anything above an E grade ie D and up is a manager there is floating about somewhere rough equivalent grades

Describe yourself to your best advantage, civilian employers want to know what you can do and where you are coming from. Personally when I left as a WO1 and started in civy street it was as an Estate manager I finished up as an Executive Director. If you think you can achieve something then go for it, after all what have you got to lose!

B

Biscuits_AB

Hi,

Many Thanks
"Discuss".....why?

Because he's too lazy to write his own dissertation!

B

bokkatankie

The old chestnut of converting Mil to Civ speak on your CV has come up many time before, use of the search facility may enable enlightenment!

* sigh *

Personal opinion? Too many managers in the Army, nowhere near enough leaders. Translate what you do into a form of words that you feel best reflects what you provide to those below you in the food chain, whether that be leadership or management. If it's a qualification that you're trying to get, surely it will depend more on your breakdown of roles and responsibilities etc rather than a single job title?

Another personal opinion: Bear in mind that no-one ever seems to be accused of 'micro-leadership'...?

Leaders are not necessarily in charge; business needs leaders at all levels and most businesses are very "flat" in comparison with the Army. Leadership has nothing to do with setting strategy or implementing strategy; you need leaders to make strategy work. Read any change management theory about how you need change leaders even at the lowest levels and you will see what I mean.

For me, some Warrant Officer roles are very much in the leader area; an RSM or SSM/CSM, for example, is a key leader role who sets the standards for a large part of what his unit or sub-unit does. The CO / OC may be the one in command, but that doesn't make him the only leader or even the most important leader.

An RQMS/TQMS, on the other hand, is very much in a management role, although clearly there is an element of leadership there.

For me, leaders lead people, managers manage things. Most Warrant Officers are very good at both and should not under-sell themselves in the job market.

Just done my CMI qualification in Leadership and Management and the feeling from that course is. You are both. You lead and inspire whilst managing both the expectations of you managers by implementation of their strategy and policy and that of your staffs welfare and development. Hope it helps might sound bllx but unfortunately that is what external verifiers look for.