Help Needed tracing Family Military History

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by StevieH, Mar 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Righto, I got two ex members of the Army, thatI would like to find out some service history for. I know capbadges regi numbers, and approx dates of service. But I do not know what units, what ops they were actually on or anything else. I am planning to make up a little framed history with capbadges, a photo and hopefully a little about their service. One is for my grandad (as one was his dad) an the other is an uncle.

Where can I search for this info? Surely it is available in a public archive somehwere?

the two gents in question are:

Gunner Albert Howson

Corporal Dean Mylchreest

left my bleedin notepad havent I! Service numbers to follow!

Thanks for any help

H

2. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

If by chance you find your gunner was in 25 Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment. I have a WW2 history of the regiment (scanned and stored both at work and home UIAVMM), a copy of which I'll gladly forward.

I also have a handful of photos and drawings. Memory suggests they are all immediate post-war in a German garrison.

3. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

4. sorry, Gnr Howson was 33-39 got out just before the war, and then called straight back up again so was 39-45 aswell

the other was 84(ish) to 95

that vets site looks handy.

apparently howson was mentioned in a book, wrote by an RAF bloke called Joseph Morley, but I cant find that, anywhere.

Thanks for the replies

H

5. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

For their records you will nedd do request an SAR.
    Follow the link I gave.