Help needed to put a sympathetic American in the picture

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by SelfLoadingRifle, Apr 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have a stateside mate - ex USMC. A couple of days ago, an email of his came over containing the words 'Tony' 'Blair' and 'astute' in the same sentence 8O 8O A red mist came down, and he got a long reply back saying that while the word 'astute' could be used in connection with Bliar under certain circumstances there were a few basic Anglo Saxon terms that were far more appropriate. Basically I gave it to him with both barrels about the forces - extended role, personnel cuts, cr@p kit, human rights, trumped up war crimes trials for political ends; the whole works in fact.

Some time ago, there was a lot of coverage in the media about the fact that service personnel would be able to take their superiors to court for wrong decisions, even if taken in action. A lot of ex service personnel wrote to the papers saying - quite rightly - that this seriously compromised an officers ability to command, as he would have to keep one eye looking over his shoulder the whole time. I mentioned this as well.

This (ex) bootneck has asked for more detail on this particular issue. I need help to give him a proper answer. I didn't keep any of the articles written, and I've been out for a long time now. What is the situation now?

All replies gratefully received.

SLR (Not to be confused with SLR Boy).