Help needed to identify French badge.

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by k13eod, Jun 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My neighbour collects all manner of militaria and has just purchased this French badge by Drago of Paris ... anyone know the unit?

2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

3. Cheers mate, much appreciated.

Now ... any French speakers care for a translation?
  4. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Don't know what packages you use but I open the link, right click and slect translate this page option. I use IE8
  5. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

In a nutshell is the a depot formed post war and closed in 1963 for cross service parachute training, something like our PTS in Brize.
  6. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

7. Cheers again Alsacien, I will pass that on to him and let him get on with his own research!

A_Y ... no translate facility for me!
  8. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator also lets you paste a link and it does the whole page - not great but it gives you enough of an idea.
  9. Google tool bar translation:

School of Airborne Troops (ETAP) is an organization responsible for training paratroopers of the four components of theFrench army (army, navy, gendarmerie, and Air Force). Founded in late 1963 in its current form, it is located at Camp Astra north of Pau. Training Unit of theArmy, it depends on commandment of the formation of the Army (COFAT)
  10. As a footnote, the 2 REP is the only FRA army unit to train its own static line paratroopers in Calvi Corsica and not to send them to Pau.
  11. I had a telephone call this afternoon from an old French colleague from my tour at Pau, to say that Col. Marcel Bigeard had died. Rest In Peace.

Sorry to digress there..................................
  12. Bugger, just seen the Military Obits thread on Col Bigeard. My apologies