Help needed to identify a book.

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by sammers68, Apr 19, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi folks,

I'm hoping that you might be able to help me identify a book that I'd love to read again but cant for the life of me remember the name of. I'd search on here for it, but since I cant remember the title, I'm a bit out of luck on the search string.

Basically, the book is about a hypothetical war between Islam and the West ( including Israel ). Think red storm rising as a style ( i.e. several sub stories going on ) but set in the early 21st century. One of the key things which might trigger a memory is how the caliphate launched a series of missiles "over" Israel towards southern France. A twist came in the end, but dont want to give it away if anyone ever wanted to read it fresh.

I read it in paperback in 2001. Finished it literally a couple of days before 9/11, and remember thinking how prophetic it was...

I cant remember the title. Thought it might be "The war in 20XX", but think that might be another book I'm getting confused with ( War in 2010... an interesting read in itself ).

Any help you can offer would be great. I remember loving the book, lending it out, then not getting it back.

2. Is the twist in the form of Washington saying 'even we can't let them do that' and a sudden drop in funding to the Democratic Party from the New York area as a result of POTUS's actions?

If so, Simon Pearson 'Total War 2006' might be the one?
  3. Soggy4978

Soggy4978 Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Well I shan't bother reading that one then. That's saved me a great deal of time. My thanks to you.
  4. Spot on Archimedes ! Thanks very much. I can already feel my reading chair snuggling me in it's warm arms as I while away a day or two re-reading it.

5. Trust me... He hasnt given anything of substance away there :)