Help Needed to ID lost medal.

Alreet Muckers, been on this a few times but never registered. Got a query for you. I served in Bosnia 1994 from February to August (Sarajevo). I was awarded the UN medal but pretty sure I received a French medal (obviously couldn't be worn) I think it was for the freedom of Sarajevo. I've convinced myself the OC at the time Major Fields RA took all medals from us for "safe keeping". Anyone any idea what this medal would have been as I'd like to get a replacement? I've even got pictures of the French Commander issuing the medal at the fort in Sarajevo overlooking the city but not one of the actual medal. Any help would be appreciated.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Not the clasp you mean is it ?

Unofficial I'm told, but issued.
Never seen one on a Brit.

Not the clasp you mean is it ?

Unofficial I'm told, but issued.
Never seen one on a Brit.
No, not the clasp. My UN medal doesn't have that, although my NATO medal from 96 has Former Yugoslavia clasp. I'm sure it was a French issue medal, totally separate to any UK/UN issue.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Give us a clue FFS !
Like the ribbon colours, medal colour, shape, chocolate content, etc.

Well, pull up a sandbag. It was Feb 1994, I was 21. I went to see the then girlfriend, now wife on the Friday for the weekend. On arrival back at camp on Monday morning, I, along with the rest of my troop were told we were to deploy to Sarajevo on the Thursday. 4 days to paint our vehicles white, get issued with arctic warfare kit, oh and my passport was out of date so good old John Major had to sign it off as a rush job. so I was, as you can imagine absolutely buzzing, and full of spunk. The medal I mention was issued in the summer of 94. I haven't a clue what colour the ribbon was, or if it was made by cadburys, lindt or kinder, at that particular time in life, medals were great, but not that important. Now, at my ripe old age, I'd like to look at them and remenise about the 8ft of snow outside the Olympic Stadium where Torvill and Dean won gold 10 years prior to my arrival after days driving over from Split. Oh and I slept in the firing range under the ice rink for a couple of nights as had nowhere else to go, until we got kicked out by the French as it was a H&S issue being a high profile target and seriously weakened by continuous artillery and mortar bombardment. So to that end, I cant help on colour of ribbon, shape of medal etc unfortunately. Only that it was issued 1994, by the French for services during the siege of Sarajevo. It was issued summer 1994. Lads, thanks for your interest. I remember going from white to green and black that summer, but I may be totally wrong. I was only there 94 and then 96 with 12 months NI training in 95 as we were put on stand by because of some cease fire. Wikipedia has no answers for me. ✊

Last edited:

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
National Defence Medal ?
Looks like the criteria is just getting them out for the lads.
This Dalida bint got it.

But then I think she was getting a couple of things from De Gaulle.

Last edited:
French Commemorative Medal*

150px-Medaille_Commemorative_Francaise.jpg
150px-Medaille_Commemorative_Francaise_REVERS.jpg

*An official French Medal, not a commemorative in the same sense as unofficial tosh. Think of it more like an OSM or GSM.

The Minister of Defense,
Having regard to the law of 13 July 1972, as amended, concerning the general status of the military;
Having regard to Decree No. 95-1098 of 9 October 1995 creating the French commemorative medal, in particular Articles 3 and 11 thereof,
Decrees:

Art. 1. - A bronze clip is created with the inscription "Former Yugoslavia" on the French commemorative medal.

Art. 2. - May claim civilian and military personnel French and foreign who have actually participated from 1 March 1991,
for a period of at least thirty days, missions conducted in the former Yugoslavia under the auspices of the United Nations United.

Art. 3. - Under the same conditions, may also claim the French commemorative medal with clip "Ex-Yugoslavia" personnel who actually participated in Sharp Guard operations, Deny Flight, Balbuzard, Kestrel, Unified Police of Mostar, Embargo on the Danube as well as those of the European Monitoring and Enforcement Mission in the former Yugoslavia and those responsible for the control between Serbia and Montenegro and Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Art. 4. - Receive a delegation from the Minister in charge of the Armed Forces to assign the clip "Former Yugoslavia" to the commanders of the corps and the assimilated authorities.
Art. 5. - This order will be published in the Official Journal of the French Republic.

Done at Paris on 21 December 1995.

Last edited:
French Commemorative Medal*

View attachment 378929 View attachment 378930
*An official French Medal, not a commemorative in the same sense as unofficial tosh. Think of it more like an OSM or GSM.

The Minister of Defense,
Having regard to the law of 13 July 1972, as amended, concerning the general status of the military;
Having regard to Decree No. 95-1098 of 9 October 1995 creating the French commemorative medal, in particular Articles 3 and 11 thereof,
Decrees:

Art. 1. - A bronze clip is created with the inscription "Former Yugoslavia" on the French commemorative medal.

Art. 2. - May claim civilian and military personnel French and foreign who have actually participated from 1 March 1991,
for a period of at least thirty days, missions conducted in the former Yugoslavia under the auspices of the United Nations United.

Art. 3. - Under the same conditions, may also claim the French commemorative medal with clip "Ex-Yugoslavia" personnel who actually participated in Sharp Guard operations, Deny Flight, Balbuzard, Kestrel, Unified Police of Mostar, Embargo on the Danube as well as those of the European Monitoring and Enforcement Mission in the former Yugoslavia and those responsible for the control between Serbia and Montenegro and Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Art. 4. - Receive a delegation from the Minister in charge of the Armed Forces to assign the clip "Former Yugoslavia" to the commanders of the corps and the assimilated authorities.
Art. 5. - This order will be published in the Official Journal of the French Republic.

Done at Paris on 21 December 1995.

. . . It was issued summer 1994 close to change over from UN to IFOR. Lads, thanks for your interest. Wikipedia has no answers for me. ✊
Think you might be getting your dates muddled up there, chap: I left theatre in Oct 95 and we were still under the UN Mandate as UNPROFOR/UNCRO.

IFOR didn't exist until Dec 95.

Think you might be getting your dates muddled up there, chap: I left theatre in Oct 95 and we were still under the UN Mandate as UNPROFOR/UNCRO.

IFOR didn't exist until Dec 95.
I may well be losing it. I was only there 94 UN & 96 IFOR. Definitely remember a change over from white to black and green in my head in 94. That was a long tour though, as had no one to hand over to.

Absolutely not. My Medals are wall mounted and don't come out of the frame, not even on remembrance Sunday. I wouldn't wear my medals or a beret without a uniform. Rungimental badge, tie and poppy maybe. Enjoy your days all. Thanks again for your help.

Latest Threads