Help needed sending medical supplies abroad.

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by The13thDukeOfWybourne, Jan 18, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. .
    My brother in law works for Dorset County Ambulance service, he's also in the St John and tells me that he holds the rank of a Lt Col and that I should salute him ... civvy twit ... but I digress. They have a large stock of medical supplies i.e. Defibrillators and the such that they would like to donate, perhaps somewhere such as Kenya. Does anyone have a contact that he could speak to about this?

Many thanks

2. I'll take one off his hands. I can use it to zap my neices.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

I'll do it for a £100 plus freight and clearing charges.

On a serious note he's better off sending them some cash cause you are going to have a bitch of a time getting 2nd hand medical devices through customs of a 3rd world country.

Pm me if you're serious so that I can point out the myriad of fuckups and pitfalls that may occur.

(edit make that £500 plus freight, import duties and clearing charges.)

4. .
    Is there no way of taking it out on a Medic Exercise or just post it bit by bit to Desmond Tutu Hospice, Umbungo Land? I might sell the defibs on eBay as Ab Toners ... ex-SAS, SBS and Para of course.

5. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Duke pm answered - from the Kenyan Internal Revenue website.

6. Yes. The things of which you speak might be useful in Laos. So if he wants to donate them there, send me a pm.

7. Top tip never mark anything medical if you are sending anywhere. Customs round the world are notorious about the stuff.

I've sent defibs labelled as electrical activity detectors to get them into shit holes

Better deal direct with some charidies instead, although they are incredibly sniffy about what they use etc

I'd skip it and go to the pub.

Tell your st johns fuctard Lt Col he can suck the big dogs cock. ******* wierdo rank ******

9. .
    Ha Ha, thanks for the replies. I knew ARRSE could solve a problem. Anyone wanna buy a defib?

10. Duke,

Went to Poland & Romania with a Charity called Jacobs Well in 93 and they used to donate food, medicines etc so they may well be able to help your pal. Website link:

The Jacob's Well Appeal

11. PM inbound. I know a volunteer ambulance organisation that requires med kit ASAP.

12. Last time a Medical Unit went to Kenya they were asking for various basic medical supplies to give away to hospitals/clinics out there. It could be worth checking with the next Med Regiment that's going out to see if they are prepared to take items with them.

13. There's one going in a few months!

14. interesting questions

quite why he's asking externally for overseas sources to donate old kit, i'm not sure, as the Order of St John HQ will have contacts with overseas SJA priories , commandaries and associated bodies ... tell him to speak to the chair of council or Order HQ , one would hope that an SO(2) would know a little aobut the Structure of SJA , though if he'd been parachuted into role 'because he works for the ambulance service '

MPH
    SO(3) SJA

15. and you genuinely think that the NHS ambulance service or St John are going to give equipment to a competitor ...

also a lot of the defibs etc that are currently being disposed of by the NHS and SJA are machines that while they work perfectly adequately are fixed programmes to the Old resus guidelines and have been depreciated down to zero - so would otherwise be smashed and go in the WEEE skip.

there's also stuff that could be resterilised etc but due to developed world medical devices legislation it;s just easier to cast and replace with single use ( e.g. autoclavable BVMs and suction system components )