Help needed - research for new novel

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by PinstripePete, Feb 6, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am trying to recall the name of those fearsome items used to heat water in large bins on operational tours. They were called something like 'Billy boilers'; big chimney-like things sticking out of dustbins of water. In Kosovo I remember the BQMS's storeman lighting the damned things each morning, and waking the whole Battery with a heavy 'WHUMMPH!' when he got it wrong. By the end of the tour he had no hair or eyebrows left.

I am in the middle of writing a second novel about a fictional regiment. Although the novel is farce/black humour, I still need to be as accurate as possible. I'd be most grateful if someone could let me have some details about this item, in particular how they work and how you get them to go bang!

Many thanks, in anticipation

The 65th
  2. M67 Portable Immersion Heater.
  3. American Burner seems to spring to mind.
  4. Wasn`t it something like burco boiler. Powered by petrol and the only safe way to light one was at a suitable distance with a stick.
    We had a situation in the Gulf 1 where someone filled one with fuel instead of water and when the journalist lit it - well he needed treatment for flash burns.
    Gave us a good laugh, well done journo, as he sat around waiting for transport to the rear.
    Sure you could make that sound better and stick it in a book.
  5. Brought to you by the power of google, The US army manual for the M67 heater. Click this link.
    Watch those eyebrows!!
  6. Puffing billy, i seem to recall!
  7. Puffing Billy - lethal. We should use them as a hearts and minds gesture and 6 prayer timings later the 6 lighter men dead.
  8. Puffing Billy or The Widow Maker!!
  9. Ah, the power of arrse! Many thanks!

The 65th