help needed ref batus wildlife

i have a presentation to give on the animals on the prairie and their health implications, i have been searching the web for 2 days to no avail all i need is a site with a list of animals at batus, i can do the rest myself,

i know there are gophers, rattlesnakes , i also believe there are certain spiders and dangerous mice droppings i beathed in.

i believe there is a brief given on arrival of the animals and their dangers but i need to give this on monday before we go

any help much appreciated......

Quite a lot of Mule ear deer running around

loyalbro said:
i have a presentation to give on the animals on the prairie and their health implications, i have been searching the web for 2 days to no avail all i need is a site with a list of animals at batus, i can do the rest myself,

i know there are gophers, rattlesnakes , i also believe there are certain spiders and dangerous mice droppings i beathed in.

i believe there is a brief given on arrival of the animals and their dangers but i need to give this on monday before we go

There is, so why do you have to deliver a briefing?

http://www.worsleyschool.net/science/files/poisonous/creatures.html

msr

Rather strange, an excellent briefing is given at Batus, as has been said. Tell them that the dangers are ever present and not to cuddle snakes, that will tide them over till they get the proper briefing.

msr said:
loyalbro said:

There is, so why do you have to deliver a briefing?

http://www.worsleyschool.net/science/files/poisonous/creatures.html

msr

because i have been told i have to by my ssm, so i don't really have much choice, thanks for the link.

Your SSM doesnt like you does he :)

scarletto said:
as we are medics he is just trying to get the pte's into thinking about things before they go, it's really just a quick brief on any dangerous animals out there and the treatments

AH The Sin Bin full of Wild Animals in the old days

vvaannmmaann said:
There are some horrid creatures in the local bars.Most require HazMat training.
Don't forget the nasties that inhabit the Gag 'n' Puke! 8O

And those pesky bears up in the Rockys on adventure training

And there was never anything tougher than the fried chicken in the cookhouse at Camp Crowfoot.

When I was there, early to mid 70`s there were Eagle`s. On one occasion one of our lads was attacked by one. He dared got too close to the nest (in the only tree for miles) he was lucky he was wearing a parka. Don`t forget that Lynx, Gazelle & Merlin`s can bite as well!

mistersoft said:
And there was never anything tougher than the fried chicken in the cookhouse at Camp Crowfoot.
Had they evicted Gordon the Gopher from under the hut

tropper66 said:
mistersoft said:
Had they evicted Gordon the Gopher from under the hut
I was too busy wrestling with the chicken to notice.

C

cloudbuster

52niagra said:
Don`t forget that Lynx, Gazelle & Merlin`s can bite as well!
12-Sep-90 Gazelle AH1 ZB680. The aircraft struck the ground when in a turn, bounced twice and caught fire while on the Suffield training area, Alberta, Canada. The intention had been to show the German passenger a herd of Pronghorn Antelope. The two crew escaped with minor injuries but the passenger was killed.

Got to be careful with wildlife...........

12-Mar-98 Gazelle AH1 XX395. Crashed in the Nanyuki area north east of Nairobi, Kenya after the pilot lost control when trying to manoeuvre the aircraft so that a crew member could photograph some giraffes. Before striking the ground it clipped the top of a small tree and then hit and killed a grazing gazelle. The two members in the front suffered broken backs while the rear passenger was thrown clear but suffered severe head injuries.

cloudbuster said:
52niagra said:
Don`t forget that Lynx, Gazelle & Merlin`s can bite as well!
12-Sep-90 Gazelle AH1 ZB680. The aircraft struck the ground when in a turn, bounced twice and caught fire while on the Suffield training area, Alberta, Canada. The intention had been to show the German passenger a herd of Pronghorn Antelope. The two crew escaped with minor injuries but the passenger was killed.

Got to be careful with wildlife...........

12-Mar-98 Gazelle AH1 XX395. Crashed in the Nanyuki area north east of Nairobi, Kenya after the pilot lost control when trying to manoeuvre the aircraft so that a crew member could photograph some giraffes. Before striking the ground it clipped the top of a small tree and then hit and killed a grazing gazelle. The two members in the front suffered broken backs while the rear passenger was thrown clear but suffered severe head injuries.
Killed? Or damaged it beyond repair?

loyalbro said:
scarletto said:
as we are medics he is just trying to get the pte's into thinking about things before they go, it's really just a quick brief on any dangerous animals out there and the treatments

Quite frankly there is a reason why a full briefing is given at BATUS and not at Unit level before deployment. It is because they have the local knowledge and expertise and can update as required.

Any briefing that you give is going to be amateurish at best, and downright wrong or dangerous at worst, especially if you are plucking info off the internet.

If your SSM is insistent then contact the BATUS DS direct and ask them if they have any pre-deployment briefings either in outline or in full that you could have access to. If they tell you to poke it then you have exactly what you need to pass on to the SSM.