Help needed re Civil Defence LSM

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by MightyBigEgo, Dec 13, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know this is not the correct site for a non-military medal, but someone is Arrseland will be able to help me.
    My grandmother sadly died two days ago. Whilst going through her stuff, I found a Civil Defence Long Service Medal still in its box, hidden at the back of a drawer. After asking "When did she get this and for what?", it transpired that no-one know she had received it. All I can find out was that it was instituted in 1961. I can't even find out if it is still being issued. Now having a few gongs myself, I have never seen one. Can anyone shed any light of the matter? Thanks

The only info I can find is:

2. Try:

Web Page Name

I hope it isn't what you've already got - I couldn't open it.

Looks like a nice gong!
  3. And yes they are still being issued as I was at a ceremony (not to receive it i add) where one was given out.
    I think it's for 25 years. Will try and track down the website I used when writing the citation

Linky 1 - Top of Page 6

It's called the Imperial Service Medal - red ribbon with blue stripe down the centre

Cabinet Office Honours page

Final edit - i'm way off at a tangent here - the ISM was instituted in 1902 - cabinet office page will have more detail i expect?
  4. Civilian Honours Unit Room 462 St Giles Court 1-13 St Giles High Street London WC2H 8LD Tel: 020 72182448/82807/87024/87188

The people listed above might be able to help you. Further to my last post, I don't think the Civil Defence Long Service medal is issued any more - sorry for the confusion
  5. You are a star...thanks