Help Needed......Please

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Woolyback, May 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My dad served in korea during his national service. Unfortunately he died when i was five years of age so dont know a lot about his service in the army. My mum cant remember what regiment he was in but thinks it may have been the Kings (Liverpool) regt. I have no regimental number so the MOD cant help me. :(

Can anybody here give me any pointers how i may be able to find out what regiment he was in and if i can get his Korean medals issued, but if he had them issued can i get replacements?

Thanks.

2. It is possible to trace via the Department of Works and Pensions....if you know your dad's National Insurance number.....good luck in your quest...

3. If he served in the KingsRegt (Liverpool) they served in Korea from 1952 and the cease fire took place in 1953.

you could contact Regt association someone may remeber him:

http://www.liverpoolkingsregimentassociation.org.uk

Have you written to Army records:

Army Personnel Centre
    HQ Secretariat
    Historical Disclosures
    Mail Point 400
    Kentigern House
    65 Brown Street
    Glasgow
    G2 8EX
    Tel: 0845 600 9663, option 1, then option 3

They may help, the more info you have the better it cost's about £25 and takes several weeks / months and they will need a letter from his next of kin. even if they find nothing they keep your cash.

4. Thanks very much for the information Boris7 and Books. I will try all three avenues and let you know how successful I am.
    Once again thank you.

5. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

You could try the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website:

www.cwgc.org (off the top of me head)

From there you can do a search, with name, initial, conflict, nationality and service.

If he is on their records (and I see no reason why not) you ought to get a list of matches to narrow down.

If you find him, you might be very pleasantly surprised at the information it gives you back.

Good luck.

Oh and don't do what my wife did: typed in:

www.cwwg.org

found herself reading about chemical weapons at the Chemical Weapons Wroking Group website. She left in a hurry.

6. Thanks for that AlienFTM, he died out of service so i would have thought no records with the war graves commission. Will give it a go though.

Regards Woolyback.

See what you mean about the website your wife went to....!

7. Thanks Poppy_Travel wiil try that as well.

Regards.

Woolyback.

8. Woolyback do you have any photos of you dad in service? if his cap badge liiked like this he was Kings (liverpool) Hope this helps you narrow your search

9. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Sorry mate - rereading your original post I can see how I assumed he died in Korea when you were 5. My mistake.

Have to say I haven't checked the latter website myself. She went off surfing on her own, opened that page and closed it again very quickly, expecting a CIA knock at the door. I think I'll go and have a look meself.

10. I really appreciate all the help i have had on this. papegojan
    am getting some photos off a long lost aunty of mine (Dads sister) with my dad in uniform so may have some help there.

Thanks again.

11. Now if he was in the Army and the Infantry he would have know doubt been drafted into a local Regiment. Now you can check what regiments in your area where serving in Korea at the time your dad in in the Army. If you can tie that bit down a check with that units web site and a note to the curator might do the trick. Just think he was doing all this on half the regulars pay he could done all his Service out there once he had completed his ten weeks training, no leave leave home.

12. Try the National Archives mate.

Free search, you can view documents online for free too. You can download copies for a small fee - I found my Grandad's medal records mate - didn't need his number either.

Good luck :wink:

13. I am overwhelmed by all the help on here. I am going to try all avenues and will post on here when I have any results.
    Thaks again for everyones help.

Regards.

Woolyback