Help Needed Please!!

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by Leee101, Mar 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi All,

i'm a 33 year old woman and have been to see AFCO about joining the TA part time. I want to get fit and learn new skills to get more out of life, my first interview is this weds, at the national unit where i presume we will discuss which unit i can go to.
    I have some concerns though that i'm worried may stop my application process and would love some feedbac
    k and also some advice on which unit may be the best option as the army web site is a bit vague on what each unit actually does.
    1stly, i have arythmia tachycardia, which is a fast heart beat, i was born with this condition and do not need any medical supervision or medication, am i right in thinking that if my doc is happy to say i'm good for training the TA will allow this?And if i can get fit thru the TA then this will improve my condition anyway as will be fighting fit. I also wear contacts as well is this an issue?

Next is the units which are closest to me are
    48 Signal Squadron, 35 Signal Regiment (Volunteers)
    301 Troop 131 Independent Commando Squadron, Royal Engineers
    A Company, 4th Battalion The Mercian Regiment

Now as my full time job i work in accs and the sgt at AFCO said they were crying out for accounts people, but as i say i can't really see what each unit does in order to be able to make a decision on which one to choose.

All feed back gratefully accepted.

Thanks Guys n Gals :D

2. msr

msr LE

Visit all three, see if they have any vacancies for females (which may be limited at 301 Tp and A Coy), then make up your mind.

The decision on your medical fitness will be taken by the doc at the unit you chose.

msr

3. Leee check your pms

4. sorry pms? i know the obvious abbreviation but guessing that's not what you mean? please explain

5. PM = private message look near the top right hand corner where it will say Private Messages (0 New) etc click on that and it will take you to your inbox.

6. A Coy and 301 Tp are co-located in the same TA Centre Lee . They parade on the same night. So I'd say get yourself down there tomorrow , then the Sigs at Golden Hillock on Wednesday.

Recruit reception is from 19.15 onwards as far as I know.

Good luck.

7. Thanks to all who have given me some sound advice, it really has been a big help!
    Will keep you posted.
    Again thanks to you all.

Lee

8. PTP make that Tuesday and that was a perfect answer :D

9. Doh!!!!!!

Thanks Tiger ;)

Lee , A Coy may have someone on recruit reception all week , just call the TAC for an interview.

10. Well i'm glad I got some sound advice of you guys as called the Royal Logistic Corps in West Brom and it was indeed an invite with the intention of signing up there, which is to great a distance to be travelling, so won't be attending the interview tonight now. Would have hated to waste their time as well as my own. So thanks again guys for being so helpful.

What does the A Coy do?

11. Infantry type things, the main role of the infantry is to close in and kill people.
    To do this they do shed loads of physical training, as a female you wont be allowed to be an infanteer, however they may have places as a military clerk type of person.
    The infantry dont allow women to be 'badged' i.e. in the battalion but you would be allowed to be'attached' as I have staed as a clerk/chef/mechanic type of thing.

12. Ok thats good to know thanks, Don't fancy clerical etc, so Tiger Lily looks like i'll be seeing you at the Signals then :)

13. Hee hee - welcome to the fold....

14. I don't know if there are any proper stats on this but think most women end up in R.Sigs - it was quite a surprise back when I was last in the TA going from R.Sigs TAFS weekends with a fair proportion of women to ATR Lichfield, which isn't R.Sigs specific and seeing the difference. (Guess I'll find out if it's corps-wide next week - planning on popping down next Wednesday to my local TAC)

15. Clerk, Chef, Mechanic, MEDIC. They deploy too.

But if you want to sit in a warm vehicle all weekend with your Playstation and Coffee to hand, that's up to you Lee :D

Oh wait... :(