Help needed- Medal research

Discussion in 'Medals' started by Blokeonabike, May 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My wife's father died recently. We know he had a distinguished military career including service in Palestine and Malaya and time spent attached to 22. Unfortunately, we cannot find his medals. We know he had to have had some and I would like to get a set of replicas made up for my wife. Problem is how do I find out what he would have had?

Can anyone suggest a way of finding out what medals an individual was entitled to wear.

I have his name and service number and some, undoubtedly incomplete, details of his service.

He was discharged (voluntary) in the sixties so JPA isnt going to be any help!
  2. I heard some archaeologists dug up your service records recently. They're in the museum now!
  3. You can't speak to me like that, I'm an Emperor doncha know
  4. I wrote off to the Medal Office to get my Grandads medals, as he'd not signed for them after the war. They were very helpful, and sent me his medals.

I didn't need proof of my Grandads death.
  5. Same here, filled the form in popped into the post, medals dropped through the post. jobbed jobbed.
  6. I thought it could take up to 2 years to get the records?
  7. It takes about 40 days to get personal records
  8. Thanks for the advice. It will mean a lot to the family if I can get it sorted.